Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Crankshaft Coalition Wiki: new hotrodding articles
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 03:06 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
What about information that may be copyrighted? How do you enter that?
Short answer: You don't, unless you want the copyright owner to have a whole bunch of your stuff.

Longer answer:

Copyright applies to expressions, not ideas. Even your expression of those two questions is copyright protected, with you as the copyright owner. That protection will last until 70 years beyond your death. The only way I can get away with copying it here without your explicit permission is because it is clear that quoting comments is a normal function of this system and your participation in the fora therefore grants an implied permission to quote you.

The way a factory service manual presents, or expresses, the information about a car is (almost always) protected by copyright. Permission of the copyright owner must be obtained before duplicating that expression. Penalties are severe if the copyright owner chooses to impose them. The factual information itself is not covered by copyright. Some of it may be covered by patents.

What this means, for practical purposes, is that you cannot legally copy and paste, nor scan and OCR, nor otherwise duplicate the contents of manuals, websites, brochures, books, pictures, etc., without first obtaining permission from the copyright owner. You can express the facts in your own way, just make sure it isn't close enough to the original to make some ambulance chaser's ears perk up.

If you are the author of a work, you are also the copyright owner. DrChop had the right to copy his own work from his website to the wiki. If I had done that, I would be infringing on his rights under copyright law. Now that he has placed his work on the wiki, I or anyone else may alter it, there, without worry. That does not grant permission to copy and paste his original work, from his website, to anywhere else. Copyright protection remains in force for that expression, unless he grants explicit permission otherwise.

All of the content of the wiki (the particular expressions of information found there) is also copyright protected, with the copyright owner being the Crankshaft Coalition. However, the copyright owner grants specific permissions (license) for others to use that content under certain conditions. Each page of the wiki contains a link to the license and conditions.

(Just in case there are any badboyz reading who think they can sabotage the wiki by copying and pasting, I suggest they read a little about the limitations of liability. Such a scheme would backfire with heavy consequences).