Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Crankshaft Cracking?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the input Cobalt, oldbogie and BOBCRMAN. The subject of question in the first two pictures is on the first rod journal, closest to the front of the engine. The little marks that are all parallel near the oil hole are on the second rod journal. I really don't know if the crank has ever been ground. I am pretty sure the engine had been opened up before though. The main and rod bearings have very little wear on them and I am pretty sure the rings have been replaced. You could be right, the crank may have been reground. Of all things I didn't measure the crank journals. The cylinder bores measured out at stock, but I didn't think to check the journals. I will do that tonight. Either way though I don't really think it's probably worth spending any money on this shaft.

This was a 350 out of a '74 Nova. It ran pretty well, had a two barrel carb and fresh dual exhaust. Sounded really nice. The car had been sitting for several years. The old timer that had it recently did a basic tune-up and put new exhaust on it before giving it to his high school age grandson. The kid wrecked the car into a ditch in the first two weeks he had it. I got the engine, transmission, radiator, accessories and some other parts off of it.

It is what it is I guess. I will still try to take it to a shop, maybe tomorrow. Will let everyone know what they have to say.

By the way, Cobalt, thanks for doctoring up that picture and making it easier to see. I was trying to do that in MS Paint and ran out of patience. Thanks.