The Crankshaft Sensor! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 07:18 PM
88 BERETTA GT

Wiki Edits: 0

The Crankshaft Sensor!

Alright! The fule pump is working, Ive got fule pressure! Im wondering if it is the CrankShaft Sensor?... Any ideas! I pulled the fule line out and had my friend turn on the car and fule shot out all over the place!... PLEASE SOMEBODY LET ME KNOW.. I ALSO KNOW THAT IT HAS FIRE AND IT HAS NEW PLUGS AS WELL! I want to know where the Crank Shaft Sensor Is at?
And if somebody could send me a picture.. that would help me very much! Ive been reading My haynes manual all day.. The Crank Shaft Sensor provides fuel economy and control of the exhaust emissions,The (ECM) controls spark advance, Ignition timing with the Electonic spark Timing (EST) systems. The ECM receives a reference pulse from the crankshaft sensor. Wich Indicates both engine rpm and crankshaft position. The ECM then determines the proper spark advance for the engine operating conditions and sends an EST pulse to the DIS module. AND a fault in the EST system will usually set a trouble code 42!!! I found all of this out today! IF SOMEBODY WOULD PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT HOW I CAN LOCATE THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!! ASAP!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The crank sensor is on the front by the damper. If you have spark or fire as you call it, it is probably not defective. Did you gap the plugs before you installed them. Contrary to popular belief they always need to be checked. Puull a plug and see if it is wet or smells like gas. You may have lost the fuse for the injectors. If you turn it over and hold on to one of the injectors you should be able to feel it clicking
Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Check the injectors, measure with a DVOM on the red wire ,with the scale set to DCV, 50 volts or autorange, and turn the key on..all should read 12 volts (or whatever your battery voltage is at static.)

Next on the other side of the injector plug, using a Noid light, measure the other wire (usually black or blue) while cranking .. it should strobe..if so your injectors are working, if not go back to the fuse box you have one or more fuses out...CHECK EVERY FUSE..(I believe I said this on one other of your many Threads about this problem..)WITH A METER..don't eyeball them, a blown link at the foot of a fuse can not be seen and passed off as good.

IF you have fire, your crank sensor IS working..IT may not be right, but it is working, it should sput fire or run like crap, but that is another situation for after you get it running..

BE SURE the battery is FULL charged, on some vehicles, this can disable the computer and it won't start..

Remove the battery cable, touch it to the other battery cable and hold it for about one minute..this will drain electrolytic caps in the computer, and in some reset the codes to zero (not all will do this)

Have your Coil packs checked..they may be sparking, BUT not good enough OR one half may be defective..

Run a jumper cable directly from the BLOCK to the Battery negitive..to insure the engine has a good ground.

Doc
Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

Next on the other side of the injector plug, using a Noid light, measure the other wire (usually black or blue) while cranking .. it should strobe..if so your injectors are working, if not go back to the fuse box you have one or more fuses out...CHECK EVERY FUSE

Doc
I sort of assume he didnt have noid lights so I didnt mention it.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Last photo:

Okay so you have fuel but what pressure?? Did you check it? Try searching Google there is tons of information out there at your fingertips. The 60 degree v6 was a very common engine found in many vehicles do some homework.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
I sort of assume he didnt have noid lights so I didnt mention it.

Doc here,

Yeah, I figured you did..

I did, just so he'd know you can't check it with a meter or test light..correctly.

He should be able to rent one from Auto zombie for the cost of a deposit though..

Thanks!

Doc
Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 PM

if you have spark then your crankshaft sensor is working. what you need to do is check for pulse at the injectors with a noid light. pull out a plug and smell it see if it smells like fuel or not. you may need a scanner hooked up to see what the pcm sees. it may be a sensor issue causing a no start we cant answer that for you without seeing it. tell us what we wanna hear. do you have pulse?,are the plugs wet?, what is fuel pressure?, how strong is the spark?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Since your a Novice, What you need to do is STOP! What your doing now...

your chasing your tail, and draining your wallet..

GO BACK TO BASICS FIRST!!! DO NOT SKIP! even if you say, "I checked it..it's good.."

FIRST determine if it fuel or fire..

Remove one plug at a time, get a ground jumper cable, hook it to your battery, the other end to hold the plug..Crank the engine and monitor the fire across the gap..It should be BLUE and not anemic yellow..DO THIS for each plug..those are coil packs , every other plug COULD have a bad coil and it won't start..even though the other half fires good.

If you Don't have fire, CHECK the fuses and harness plugs as outlined before..

If good, Check the crank sensor.

IF you have good BLUE fire , then MOVE ON...it ain't there..

Check the COMPRESSION, (since the plugs are out, ) 125 to 150 +/- 10% is good enough to get it running ..(and write all your findings Down!! All of them!) lower numbers indicate mechanical problems, and WAY low numbers indicate jumped Timing chain or belt..OR serious damage to the gaskets.

If compression is good, Check the fuel pump output pressure and Volume..on that you probably need 45 Lbs before it will run..(look up the stats in your manual..) lower pressures it won't run..(or barely run..)

If low, find out why, Check the pump pressure direct, if good , next at the outlet side of the filter(s) , then into the fuel rail..It should have the same pressure all along, IF it has a shrader valve, blow off excess air, until nothing but fuel comes out.

If it has that, Check the injectors, as previously outlined, RENT a noid light, and use a DVOM for the 12 volt side. If not good, CHECK ALL THE FUSES and harness connectors, (Firewall, engine bay, injector loom Ect..) Correct the problem..

If you have that, it should AT least fire (in "Limp home mode") . If it won't you probably have a bad ROM or CALPAK chip in the computer..try and get a "Test computer" from a known running vehicle (Bone yard advised, these come with chips, new ones you have to use your own old and possibly bad ones.)

If you STILL can't get ANY life out of it, you may be out of your present skill level and tools needed to effect a logical troubleshoot procedure, and Seek the help of a good shop.

Doc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.