Crankshaft won't turn - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Crankshaft won't turn

I'm trying to pull a 350 SBC without pulling the trannie. I'm trying to rotate the crankshaft in order to unbolt the flexplate, and it isn't budging. All the spark plugs are pulled and the starter. There was water in at least one cylinder, but I have drained it out of the oil pan. I tried rotating the crank using the Harmonic Balancer bolt, but so far have only managed to strip some of the threads in the crankshaft. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sounds like the water was in more than one cylinder and things rusted together.

You may not be able to break it over. You can pull the tranny too, drain the pan first to reduce the mess, or put a loose yoke into the output shaft. Then you can pull the tranny off with out worrying about the converter getting hurt.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:16 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryblack
or put a loose yoke into the output shaft.
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:18 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

If you're careful, you can pull the convertor with the motor. Use a jack under the tranny while pulling to keep the motor/tranny in line as much as possible to prevent damage to the pump/convertor.

Of course this is if you can't get the motor to turn.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringold
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
On your drive shaft, you have a part that fits into the output of the tranny. It is called a YOKE or SLIP YOKE depending on how old you are. If you have one that is not connected to a drive shaft, you put it into the trany to plug it so it does not spill the fluid everywhere when you pull the tranny. Believe me when I say you DO NOT want a tranny fluid spill under your car. It takes FOREVER to clean up. Learned that one the hard way.

You sound like a newbie to wrenching, with the smarts enough to ask questions. I do not have all the answers, most of them maybe and the other members on this board can fill in the gaps. You will get several opinions and methods on how to do things on this board and about 99% of them work.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:31 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstMech
If you're careful, you can pull the convertor with the motor. Use a jack under the tranny while pulling to keep the motor/tranny in line as much as possible to prevent damage to the pump/convertor.
Of course this is if you can't get the motor to turn.
So I'm understanding that the torque converter will slide straight out? Is there anything that has to be unbolted besides the trannie itself?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:35 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
You sound like a newbie to wrenching, with the smarts enough to ask questions.
I'm not that new. Old enough not to be called a newbie! Search for my other posts. I just haven't had to deal with trannies before. Last engine I pulled that had water in it didn't have this problem. Although it didn't sit as long as this one has.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:49 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Quote:
So I'm understanding that the torque converter will slide straight out? Is there anything that has to be unbolted besides the trannie itself?
Other than the obvious (kickdown/dust cover/etc) all there is attaching the tranny is the bellhousing bolts. As a precaution, you may want to remove the shift linkage as well to prevent damage.

Make sure the tranny mount is not saturated with oil and spongy to the point of separating while pulling the motor. This will make a mess at the least.

It's a pretty straight forward job and you shouldn't have any problems if you exercise common sense.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Most of the time I pull engines I leave the trans in.If they are locked up,I have had to drop the pan and take the rod or rods loose so it will spin to get the torque converter bolts.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:57 PM
ATA Welding Technology

So IF i am successful, I will be able to remove the torque converter after I get the engine out? I will need it off in order to get the engine on a stand. Also, when I put the torque converter back into the trannie, is there any alignment issues? Does something have to be in a certain spot?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:04 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightning
Most of the time I pull engines I leave the trans in.If they are locked up,I have had to drop the pan and take the rod or rods loose so it will spin to get the torque converter bolts.
That's what I was thinking of doing, but was hoping to have the engine out of the vehicle before I dropped the pan.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm not that new. Old enough not to be called a newbie! Search for my other posts. I just haven't had to deal with trannies before. Last engine I pulled that had water in it didn't have this problem. Although it didn't sit as long as this one has.

No offense intended, remember I said you have smarts. I checked your age after I posted. I was already getting greasy when you were born. I was 6 when I worked on my first vehicle. Been getting greasy ever since. I have found out a few tricks to minimize the mess. This keeps wifey happy.

You can disconnect the tranny from the engine, remove the linkage and IF you have the tranny supported and some spotters you can pull the engine with the converter attached. I have found it is easier and safer to just pull the engine and tranny as one unit. Then disconnect it from the engine on the ground. If you get too much of an angle between the engine and tranny when pulling the engine only and the converter is not disconnected from the flex plate, you can bend the inside of the converter an possibly bugger the input shaft to the tranny in the process.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
No offense intended, remember I said you have smarts. I checked your age after I posted. I was already getting greasy when you were born. I was 6 when I worked on my first vehicle. Been getting greasy ever since. I have found out a few tricks to minimize the mess. This keeps wifey happy.
I've got a sheet of old OSB underneath to soak up any fluids.

Quote:
You can disconnect the tranny from the engine, remove the linkage and IF you have the tranny supported and some spotters you can pull the engine with the converter attached. I have found it is easier and safer to just pull the engine and tranny as one unit. Then disconnect it from the engine on the ground. If you get too much of an angle between the engine and tranny when pulling the engine only and the converter is not disconnected from the flex plate, you can bend the inside of the converter an possibly bugger the input shaft to the tranny in the process.
Ithink I will be dropping the pan first and going that route. And if I still can't get it to rotate, I'll rethink pulling it with the torque converter.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

See if you can use a big screwdriver on the flexplate teeth to get the crank to turn (using something as a pivot or fulcrum to do so).

tom
Old 08-26-2006, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Just take the bell housing bolts out and pull the motor with the converter still attached. You will probably have to change the front trans seal. The motor is most likely not worth saving anyway.
Bob

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.