Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Crankshaft worry , now unsure of what to do with rod caps ??
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo2
Bought a used engine , guy said 383 bla bla bla so I took a gamble and when I got home tore it apart , everything was looking 100% until I dropped the pan and saw some color on the crank , so i pulled the rod cap to make sure it was fine and bearings and crank grind look perfect no wear or color , looks like at one time it spun a bearing so they ground the crank and re used it , crank is an eagle , pistons are probe flat top's and rods are unknown , I don't know what to do now ? Loosen all rods are re torque ? seen 45lbs with oil and 50lbs with lock tight ? bolts are 3/8 24 fine I believe
If the crank has been reground, it should be designated on a counterweight. The main & rod bearings will also be designated on the back side. Because you don't know the history of the motor, if you are going to keep it, I would take the crank to a machine shop and have them mic the journals unless you can do it yourself. If the journals spec out ok, just have the machine shop polish it, then install new bearings. The discoloration is really no concern as long as everything checks out. The rods should be removed, checked and manicured as well. It makes no sense to have a perfectly round crank if the rods aren't.