Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Crankshaft worry , now unsure of what to do with rod caps ??
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo2
I don't know what to do now ? Loosen all rods are re torque ? seen 45lbs with oil and 50lbs with lock tight ?
Rods look like OEM powdered metal and the bolts look stock, judging by the details that can be seen, including no balancing pad on the cap, and similarities to the photos below.

IF you choose to reuse the rods as-is, I would retorque to stock specs. The reason is the bolts are knurled (not Waveloc), and the visible end does not have a dimple used to locate a stretch gauge. There are still knurled aftermarket rod bolts, and there may be knurled aftermarket rod bolts w/o a dimple for a stretch gauge, but my guess is those are stock.

But if it was me, I would have to give some hard thought to pulling the rods and having ARP bolts installed, unless the cam/redline/ how the engine will be used is such that the stock rods and bolts are deemed to be enough.

Note dimple

PM rod on right.
Note how the profile around the bolt on the rod and cap is smooth. You can compare this to yours.

Side view, PM on right.

Other side.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.