In 1972 I was driving a 1970 Nova and in the USAF stationed in Abilene Texas. My fiancÚ now wife was living in Nederland Texas and I was driving back and forth every two weeks. My friend talked me into going to the grudge races at the local quarter mile track. This was Wednesday night and I was getting married the following Saturday. I made a couple of low 13 second runs then the engine started banging at the top of each gear. I figured it was either a bad plug or bad gas and was shocked to experience a dropped valve as I power shifted into 4th gear. Towed the Nova back to my friend’s house and after pulling the valve covers to determine which head was involved pulled that head. We discovered a rod and wrist pin in a cylinder-less hole. We were stepping and fetching trying to find a replacement engine before Saturday. Another friend heard of a DZ 302 that was pulled from a 69 Z/28 that was now running a big block. The DZ was in need of a freshen up but could be had for the measly sum of $150. We got it and did a valve job and a lower end freshen up and spent the next few days putting it into the Nova. I made the test drive Saturday morning two hours before I was to get married. The next day my wife and I headed back to Abilene Texas on the way a rocker arm broke but I had my old heads in the trunk and made quick work of the delay. The 302 never did run as good as my original 307 as it probably needed a bore job. I drove the Nova with the DZ 302 for almost a year while I built a 350 which I eventually dropped in. The Nova was sold six years later with that 350 in it. The DZ 302 was left in the garage of an Air Force friend when I was discharged.