Crate MPI 454 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 08:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Crate MPI 454

I just bought a crate 454 off ebay and am wondering if someone can give me some info. It's still in the crate and appears to have never been started or even had oil put in it. I bought it from a guy, who bought it from his brother, who bought it from a guy, who had to sell it because of a divorce. Needless to say the guy couldn't answer a lot of questions. It's a marine setup. The motor is a four bolt main 454 with a Arizona Speed & Marine multiport (ginormous TPI) intake. It has everything. Harness, computer, injectors, & sensors. The guy said this is how the original guy bought it for his boat. I pulled the intake so I could polish it and was disapointed to find "peanut" heads on it. Of course I was hoping for rectangular aluminum. The intake is for a large oval port head. Is it likely the motor and intake were bought seperately or is this how they are shipped, and if they come assembled, who sells them? Is it Chevy, Arizona Speed and Marine, or Mercruiser?

Thanks,
Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

KA67 does it have a Mercruiser tag on the side of the bell housing flange? Depending on where he bought it, it could have had the intake changed from the stock unit. Most of the fuel injected marine engines, except the high hp models, got the small oval port heads to aid bottom and midrange torque. Check my thread on the differences between automotive and marine engines if you are planning on running this in an automotive application.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

I'll check for a tag when I get home. The plan is to put a pair of turbos on it, buy some bigger injectors, have the computer reprogrammed and build my 72 Chevelle around it. I guess I'll be swapping out the heads. I have an extra set of large oval ports but would prefer rectangular. I only have $2500 in motor so far, so I may purchase some aftermarket heads.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

If you plan on running turbos, I would recommend the AFR 305cc heads with the CNC ported combustion chambers. If you had the money, I would go with the fully ported 315cc heads. It sounds like a cool buildup.

Adam
Old 06-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

There's no tag on the back of the motor. There is a small cut off piece of flat steel with one bolt going into the back of the head. It looks like it was there to hold a hose or something, but could have been a tag. Are some mercruisers shipped with ASM intakes?

Kevin
Old 06-06-2005, 09:39 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

It is my understanding (according to Mercruiser) that all engines from mercruiser have the metal tag on the block held on by rivets. I have heard of these engines offered through some marine retailers fitted with the ASM intake system. Other than that, I can't give you any more info, sorry. I'd be happy to shoot you a price on some heads if you're interested. Let me know.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

I have to wait for a super deal (almost free) before I buy some heads. I'd love some huge AFR's but they don't come cheap enough. I'm watching some small merlins in need of repair right now. Thanks for the info.

Kevin

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.