Hot Rod Forum banner

Crate vs Rebuild

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  T-bucket23 
#1 ·
I have a 78 vette that my Dad owned and is all original. It really needs some horsepower. What are the pros and cons of going with a crate motor vs using the original motor and rebuilding it with some add ons. Will I devalue the car (it is not worth that much to begin with) by taking out the original motor? What are the best mods for the basic 350s from that era? Comments? Thoughts?

#2 ·
Well I can't answer all your questions but when you get a crate motor you don't know what your getting. I am not saying all crate motors are bad but when you build it yourself you know what all is in it clear down the the last bolt. I have read bad stories about people getting crate motors with holes that where stripped out things not put on right etc. I have heard good things about the gm crate motors though but they are build down in mexico etc. I had wondered the same thing and eventually I just got a haynes manual and dvd's on building a sbc motor and I took my parts too the machine shop to get done what needed done and built it with my dad so I know it was all done right. As far as value on the car etc I would not have a clue.
Eric

#3 ·
markkr14 said:
I have a 78 vette that my Dad owned and is all original. It really needs some horsepower. What are the pros and cons of going with a crate motor vs using the original motor and rebuilding it with some add ons. Will I devalue the car (it is not worth that much to begin with) by taking out the original motor? What are the best mods for the basic 350s from that era? Comments? Thoughts?
keeping the original engine adds value to the car. I would have a reputable builder rebuild what you have

#5 ·
crate motors roll down an assembly line and go by different people with different jobs, so if someone is having a bad day or just got a paycut or didn't get laid last night then they probably don't give a **** and give it the ok. I believe there is a difference in a rebuilt engine and a remanufactured engine.
Rebuilt to me: Tear the engine down clean parts have rotating assemble machine and put together with new pistons ring and gaskets.

Remanufactured: Tear the engine down clean parts throw away rotating assembly and put in good scat parts and good felpro gaskets and you damn near have a brand new engine that is going to go more miles than the rebuild.

#8 ·
if you don't want to build the engine yourself then find someone to do it, they will be more than happy to use brand new parts over old machined parts. If you are going to go with a new rotating assembly you might as well stoke that 350 and build a 383 for about another 50 bucks in the crank. Buy the scat rods with arp cap screws and that will be less marching you would have to do on the block. what state is st. louis in

#11 ·
crussell85 said:
what state is st. louis in

Kids today! Have no apprecaition for the birth place of toasted ravioli, icecream cone, hot dog, and the best BBQ pork steak you will ever find... Makes you wonder why we also have an obiesity problem...

Seeing that this question is from a fellow STL native, I suggest to you pulling your engine and taking it down to Buttons Automotive Machine shop- its way out in St. Peter's off highway K but they do great work and they don't over charge you. They can take it all apart and tell you what needs to be done, do it, and then put in all the go fast goodies that you buy or ask them to provide. I know several people that go there, including myself and all of us were pleased. I have tried other shops and have yet to find the same great service.

That being said I like building your own engine (or havinga shop do it) because you can get EXACTLY what you want. you can go as cheap or as top shelf as you want, pick your pistons, cam, bearings, etc- and be sure that you are happy knowing what you have.

And in all reality the price is about the same either way.

#12 ·
Thanks... I know of Buttons... At least they used to years ago. Then they were off of Hwy K in O'Fallon. It is nice if you are from a town that has a shop like that. Seems like in today's world of internet and FedEx, someone would create a company that could do exactly what we're talking about regardless of whether you live in St. Peters MO.

#13 ·
markkr14 said:
Are you a wrencher? I purchased a stroker short block from The Engine Store in MN. I was able to spec the brand and part #s of internals I wanted. I built the rest of the engine, as I wanted (heads, cam, intake) and I am still happy with my build, after 4 years.

Short block price was fair. I checked clearances on the block before I assembled, they were dead nuts on. Put my stock L-48 1976 'vette engine in storage, just in case.

Kent, the owner, was a pleasure to work with. He will not lead you astray, if you want an other than standard build. Do not buy through E-Bay (he has a site) but call them direct with your questions and specs.

#14 ·
If you are worried about losing value, you should either buy a complete motor to rebuild, or get a crate engine from a reputable builder. Take your original, numbers matching engine(carb, distribtor, water pump, everything thats original) , bag it all up(air tight), and stick it in the corner somewhere. Should the time come that you want to, or need to, sell your car, you have all the original stuff available.
There is always the risk of a motor breaking for simple reasons, and its a shame to lose a numbers matching set up because a valve or something broke.

#15 ·
I would stick the original motor in storage and pick-up a crate motor> there is a big difference between the performance crate motor and the replacement motors that GM sells. But there are many other companies that are selling "crate motors" now, take some time and do some shopping.

#16 ·
If all you are looking to do is get more power then the first question is what kind of condition is the current engine in? How many miles on it? Simply putting another motor in wont nessecarily net any gains unless you get to specifics.

I had an old '71 blazer with open chamber heads, it was a dog of the first order, bolted up a set of 2.02 fuelies and woke it up like you wouldnt believe.

Your average 350 is not a bad place to start from, sometimes they just need a little TLC in the right places.

#17 ·
I guess I am in the minority here. I agree with the few other folks who think you should do both. Keep the numbers matching motor, and buy or build a separate fun motor for now. My wife owns a C3 Vette, and though I'm not a huge Vette fan, I know many who are. The whole numbers matching thing seems foolish to me, but to people who think it matters, it REALLY matters. If you ever sell that car, assuming it's value rises in the next few years (and I'd bet it will, just sitting in the garage), the possession of the numbers matching engine might nearly double the value of the car, assuming other major components have matching numbers. Corvette restoration folks are really into this stuff. All that said, this was a period of awful performance for stock Vettes, and just about everything else as well. So, building up a separate motor, or getting a good crate motor, seems to me like a pretty good idea. The friends I have with street rods are all using GM crate motors of one kind or other. All small blocks, there are a couple of ZZ4s, a 330HP dressed-out and finished 350, as well as a 350 RamJet. Another friend is using a 454 Big Block Crate with an 8-71 blower. All of these owners are totally pleased with themselves for having made this simple, and warrentied decision. Instead of choosing one path, and possibly destroying the option for the second, I agree you should update the car, but keep the number-matching restoration option open for the future.

Pat

#18 ·
The motor runs fine... it has sat around most of it's life. It has 65K on it. It does not smoke significantly. It wasn't the HO engine, and only started with 185 horsepower to begin with. I don't really need 600 horsepower... but 300 would be pretty nice.

#19 ·
Okay... for anyone following this thread. I have gotten a lot of pretty sound advice. Let me summarize... 1) don't throw away the numbers matching motor 2) get a second "fun" motor and put the origianl into safe storage 3) go with a crate motor... and look closely at the GM OEM high performance motors (if for no other reason, to have some confidence in what I'm getting 4) consider as an alternate having a motor built by a local shop to allow for a bit more flexibility in getting exactly the components that I want 5) and lastly, do some of the planning and work yourself to bond with the car.

Okay... so here is the follow-on question. Sounds like I need a company that acts like a local speed shop (in that you can have a menu of selectable components), is conventient like a crate motor (it comes shipped directly to me, assempled and with a dyno report to prove it is as promised), uses all certified OEM major components (no foreign junk), and has an OEM level warranty. Anyone know of such a place?

#20 ·
If the motor is fine then leave it alone.

The question of a rebuild or crate needs answering if the original motor was junked or previously replaced.

I am currently doing a rebuild and have the following costs for my effort:

Block work (.030 bore/cam bearings/ crank grind/freezeplugs, etc) $330.00
New pistons installed on rods $225.00
Ring set $38
Rod bearings $24
Main bearings $28
Oil pan gasket (one piece) $22
Gasket set (Fel-pro full set) $46
Water pump (Edelbrock rebuild cost) $65
Camshaft Kit $150
Rocker Arms (roller tip) $100
Push Rods $40
Timing Set $40
Oil pump & pickup $24

Sub-total $1,132 (Excludes assy lube/misc hardware)

Heads - Full Rebuild including guides Add $350
Heads - Vortec Add $620

Heads - Aluminum Add $1,400+

For comparisons here are some of the lower end (HP level) SBC crate motor prices:

Basic 290HP SBC crate motor cost (Long block) $1,950 + freight
Basic 330HP crate motor $2,800 + freight

The crates have the added benefit of a warranty but you do not have the satisfaction of building your own and knowing exactly what is in it.

#21 ·
markkr14 said:
I'm in the camp that would recommend a crate engine to save the numbers matching motor just in case the 78 'vette ever becomes worth something. Besides the 78 engine is so far from a performance engine, by the time you're done building it to 300 horses the only thing left will be the block and crank.

Since you're only looking for 300 horse here's a couple suggestions:

1) This is the low cost choice at 2000 dollars for 290 hp. This is a decent engine but suffers from too much cam and not enough compression, so it's kind of lazy on the bottom and and is a bit of a gas drinker, replacing the heads or the pistons to get the compression up around 9.2 makes a world of difference but adds cost. Top notch cam though.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/product/12499529/290HP350SmallBlockChevroletLongBlockGMCrateEngine.aspx

2) There's three options here for how many of the tin parts come on the engine, at 330 horse, this engine uses less cam and better Vortec heads. It pulls stronger everywhere and gets better miles out of each gallon. Shows to go ya the importance of higher compression and modern heads. Costs $2700, $3900, to $4700 depending on how ready it is go. For $4700 all you gotta do is wire up the starter and hook up the gas line and go; the others take you to add some external parts to get going.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/crateengines/GMPerformanceParts350ci330hp350HOEngine.aspx

In the upper end of number 2's money range you can score a 383, while only listed at 340 horse the additional 100 pound feet of torque over the 330 horse/380 pound foot torque of the 350 will make a whale of a tire smoking difference way ahead of what you'd expect from a 10 horse difference. There ain't nothin' like leaving some Beemer squid sitting at the stop light choking in your cloud of burnt butyl.

Bogie

#22 ·
The cost thing can be argued forever. I have a simple street motor (well, perhaps not totally simple, but certainly very much a street motor) and have about 1400 in the machining alone. Balance the crank and reciprocating stuff, bore and torque plate hone, clearance for the stroker crank, preassemble to verify deck height, machine the decks, align hone, clean and MT and so on. Some for parts (like temporary use bearings for the pre-assembly) and lots for machining. Again, maybe I paid too much. But I did the build myself because I am now in my 60's, and building a strong street engine at some point was a life-long dream. Something from my bucket list. That is the very best reason I can think of to do your own street motor. Race motors, you need to do yourself, or through a shop you contract with. No question. But while Houston54 is looking at $2550, I've spent over double that. Not that I have anything so very special. The point is you can do it yourself to control the cost if that is the goal. Or, you can do it yourself to control the build, if that is the goal. But for a decent street motor, if you are willing to compromise at the detail level, it's difficult to beat the offerings from GM. There are a number of other street motor sources that I think have pretty good reputations. Smeding Performance and Beck's racing engines I think are two pretty good mass-builders. I'm sure there are others too, and a google search will help ferret them out. If you really want to do the motor yourself, by all means do it yourself. If you are looking for a simple solution, don't complicate your life by turning your back on the crate motors that are out there.

JMHO

Pat

#23 ·
I have to add something here. Aside from sentimental value to you and your family, the '78 Vette is NOT going to be worth much. They are not sought after by many. Lots are available (47,000 made in 1978). Can pick them up for around $8k. If you want to honor you dad or something, fine. But I would use the block, put some good modern heads on it, change the cam and carb, and put some headers on it. Save the original heads if you want to put it back to stock form for dad. Wouldn't worry about messing up it's originality, it just ain't worth much.

#24 ·
I agree with CRD that the '78 will never be worth what a comparable 58, or 65 will be. But it sure seems to me that the early C3 Vettes have recently (say, 4-7 years) seen a growth in value. These would be the '68 to , like, '72 cars. This will extend to the other C3s as well, I believe over time. Besides, if you're building virtually from scratch, a running 350 can be had for $100-$500. Naturally, that all really depends on how well you are connected, and how lucky you get. For that little money, having the running numbers-matching motor as an on-hand backup is not a bad proposition, assuming you have the space for it. Anyway, as previously noted, the cost trades can be managed to keep them small, so it isn't really about the money. It's about what you want to do.

Pat

#25 ·
A good way to start is to find a 4bolt Vortec engine that needs rebuilding. Figure the core will cost you $500 or less, a rebuild kit is around another $500, machine work will be around $700, add in a cam, carb, intake and headers for another $700- you're sitting around $2500 for a roller cam, 4 bolt 350 with Vortec heads- all the basics you could need for an easy streetable 400hp/400tq.

The last Vortec core I got was less than a year ago and it cost me $400, already fully machined with a SCAT crank and ARP fasteners. I've seen running ones go for $250 around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.