Hot Rod Forum banner

Craters and wrinkling

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Grusome Goat 
#1 ·
In the 20+ years I've been doing bodywork and paint I've never seen anything like this before. Going through the normal prep, degreasing with Purple Power and wiping down with reducer on a Ford Aerostar van that was bought at a sale. Just doing a sand tape and shoot ( going to the car lot when finished) started spraying (R&M Acrylic Enamel) and around the windows and mirrors is started forming craters and wrinkling at the door post, around windows, entire drivers front fender. lift gate, etc. . I washed all the areas back down to the base and tried again after drying, same results, then washed all the areas again with lacquer thinner and tried again and so far the front fender lived, part of the lift gate and most of the door posts. I did this about five times and the results no better. I'm at my wits end because I've never had anything fight me like this before. All I can figure is whoever prepped this thing for the sale must've used massive amounts of some kind of silicone on the window mouldings and plastic parts to make if look better, but would like some opinions on what else might be causing this if it's not silicone protectent. Also what can I do to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance. Goat

#2 ·
Probably good old Armor All, a B*tch to get all off, even with super clean or oil and grease prep. You may have to get some Fisheye eliminator to put in the paint mix, but go easy this stuff is just silicone itself. It will keep the paint smooth but too much will effect adhesion of the paint.

#4 ·
Paint problems

Ahh! Sounds like a problen I once encountered. The only thing I found to cure it was Westley's Bleeche-Wite. (sp) I tried everything I could think of. 3812, lacquer thinner, Prep-Sol, hot soapy water Ajax. I mean, I tried it all, but finally, after dousing it down with Bleeche-Wite, it finally eliminated the problem.
Good luck. I feel for ya.

#5 ·
Thanks, that's what about I figured, I know about the fisheye eliminator but it's been years since I've had to use it, maybe I may have to get some after I let it cure a little bit, I'm going to wetsand and repaint and see if I can get it to come around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.