Craters and wrinkling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 05:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Craters and wrinkling

In the 20+ years I've been doing bodywork and paint I've never seen anything like this before. Going through the normal prep, degreasing with Purple Power and wiping down with reducer on a Ford Aerostar van that was bought at a sale. Just doing a sand tape and shoot ( going to the car lot when finished) started spraying (R&M Acrylic Enamel) and around the windows and mirrors is started forming craters and wrinkling at the door post, around windows, entire drivers front fender. lift gate, etc. . I washed all the areas back down to the base and tried again after drying, same results, then washed all the areas again with lacquer thinner and tried again and so far the front fender lived, part of the lift gate and most of the door posts. I did this about five times and the results no better. I'm at my wits end because I've never had anything fight me like this before. All I can figure is whoever prepped this thing for the sale must've used massive amounts of some kind of silicone on the window mouldings and plastic parts to make if look better, but would like some opinions on what else might be causing this if it's not silicone protectent. Also what can I do to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance. Goat

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Probably good old Armor All, a ****** to get all off, even with super clean or oil and grease prep. You may have to get some Fisheye eliminator to put in the paint mix, but go easy this stuff is just silicone itself. It will keep the paint smooth but too much will effect adhesion of the paint.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:56 PM

Thats what it sounds like to me.It can make the simplest job a pain in the ***.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

Paint problems

Ahh! Sounds like a problen I once encountered. The only thing I found to cure it was Westley's Bleeche-Wite. (sp) I tried everything I could think of. 3812, lacquer thinner, Prep-Sol, hot soapy water Ajax. I mean, I tried it all, but finally, after dousing it down with Bleeche-Wite, it finally eliminated the problem.
Good luck. I feel for ya.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:18 PM

Thanks, that's what about I figured, I know about the fisheye eliminator but it's been years since I've had to use it, maybe I may have to get some after I let it cure a little bit, I'm going to wetsand and repaint and see if I can get it to come around.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.