Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The craziest thing you ever did with a car,or truck..
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 06:57 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Back in the early '70s when we lived in the Rocky Mtns. I had an old army jeep with a studebaker champion engine in it. We drove that thing all over Summit County and surrounding areas. There was no road or trail that we wouldn't try to get it up, however, there was the one place they called "Devils Ridge" that was some kind of challenge. The road was just barely vehicle wide and just kinda carved into the side of the mountain with no trees on either side and it got real steep at the very top. Well, me and the boys decided to try it one afternoon (without telling the missus). Everything went pretty good until the very top and I lost traction because of the light weight and couldn't get over the top. The ONLY RECOURSE was to back down and that meant holding the brakes a lot and they got real hot. So we ended up turning it into the side of the mountain, leaving it overnight and walking home.

A friend of mine that had a Power Wagon took me back up the next day and helped me get it down and back home.

(oh, Yes, the missus was hot - - especailly when she found out the boys were with me )