Crazy idea for a street rod - step inside the mind of a mad man... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Do you think this...
goes too far, and crosses the line of acceptable rod behavior 3 7.50%
is an intriguing idea that would benefit the hobby 35 87.50%
is just too weird to comment on? 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Last journal entry: Timepiece - Design in Blue
Wiki Edits: 0

Crazy idea for a street rod - step inside the mind of a mad man...

What do you guys think about using newer sheetmetal to build an old style rod? I have an 88 Chevy truck cab and noticed that the truck's sheetmetal has the basic shape I need for one of my street rod projects.

Of course, the roof is completely removed. The cab would be radically narrowed (and tapered in with the frame rails as it progresses forward); wedge sectioned to provide an aggressive forward rake; and finished with a custom floor, firewall, and cowl.

The bed would be custom sheetmetal sides, with a wood floor. I always wanted a roll bar and, after reading the thread about the fatal accident, I developed this design for a cage. It's just for safety because racing wouldn't be in the cards for this puppy. My powertrain of choice would be a four-banger and manumatic.

Please vote in the poll, and leave some comments. An inquiring mind wants to know...

Advertisement

Last edited by toddshotrods; 09-14-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I think Rod and Custom had an article a few months back with ideas somewhat similar to yours. I think it would too cool, maybe start another affordable trend in rodding. Dan
Old 09-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

I would love to see something like this done. What better way to bring the hobby to future generations than to use what is available at any given time to create something unique? And isn't that what what hotrodding is all about, anyway?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I like it. How about a full belly pan instead of a wood floor? Pop some louvers in it maybe.

I like the idea of a 4 banger too.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Sounds cool ....not wild about 700r4s should be alright behind the 4..(a few didnt live long behind a 6.5 na diesel though).
Shane
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Seems like a cool idea.
I wonder if an S-10 would be a good starting point, the cab would be a better size. You can get them with 4 clys and autos pretty cheap.

But I'm betting you already have the 88 silverado!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Cool idea, I had a 89 Nissan pickup 4 banger with a 3 valve head and 5 spd. Or the S-10 4 tech 5 speed isn't a bad choice. I've got one in a 91.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 AM

Wow! I am plesantly surprised by the response! Thanks guys; I thought maybe I had finally lost the rest of my marbles

Quote:
maybe start another affordable trend in rodding. Dan
That would be really, really, cool...

Quote:
I would love to see something like this done. What better way to bring the hobby to future generations than to use what is available at any given time to create something unique? And isn't that what what hotrodding is all about, anyway?
If it helps promote that concept, I would be really, really, happy.
I'm a little worried about you guys, because you don't just think it's an okay idea - you really get it! Think they'll let us continue to develop the concept in treatment? And, how am I going to draw in that funny loocking white jacket!?

Quote:
I like it. How about a full belly pan instead of a wood floor? Pop some louvers in it maybe.

I like the idea of a 4 banger too.
The wood floor is just in the bed. The cab would have a steel or composite floor. Making that flat would be a problem. The truck would have a salt flat-inspired theme, so a full belly pan is tempting but I would need to see it mocked up to see how that would work out.

I have had three different V8's between these frame rails. The SBC was even mounted, and custom headers being made, but it just wasn't "doing anything" for the project.

Next I tried a Pontiac. I love the deep, rounded, valley pan (especially with an "open" high-rise intake); and widespread look of a Poncho. It was close but not quite what I wanted. I never even did the mounts fot it.

Currently, there is a Northstar sitting between the rails, but it would cost me an arm and both legs to make it work in this particular project. It's so big! I would need a dry sump pan, and at least a two-stage pump set up to get it low enough. Then I would need a custom intake, and spark controller or full ECU. That crap adds up real fast. I would love to do it one day, but right now my focus has turned more towards building something unique - and actually getting it on the road to enjoy it!

I love bangers! I just think it would be so cool with one!

Quote:
not wild about 700r4s should be alright behind the 4..(a few didnt live long behind a 6.5 na diesel though).
Too much torque for a 700, unless it's fully race-built. You need a 4L80E, of you want overdrive. My banger wouldn't hurt a fly...

Last edited by toddshotrods; 09-15-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-15-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427v8
Seems like a cool idea.
I wonder if an S-10 would be a good starting point, the cab would be a better size...
The side view sketch is a scaled drawing. The Silverado cab is actually the perfect size. I would have to shorten my wheelbase, and the change the proportions of the other parts, to make the smaller S10 cab work on this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427v8
Seems like a cool idea.
...But I'm betting you already have the 88 silverado!
Quote:
...I have an 88 Chevy truck cab and noticed that the truck's sheetmetal has the basic shape I need for one of my street rod projects.
First paragraph in the original post

Quote:
...You can get them with 4 clys and autos pretty cheap...
Quote:
...Or the S-10 4 tech... isn't a bad choice...
I am thinking about the 4-tech. Here, I can get a completely rusted out, but running, S10 for peanuts...

Last edited by toddshotrods; 09-15-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I think Rod and Custom had an article a few months back with ideas somewhat similar to yours.
And I think we had a thread here with links to the pictures...unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it with a search. Must be using the wrong search terms.

Anyhow, great concept and drawing toddshotrods. We'll all be looking forward to seeing it turn into the real thing.

Quite a different body style but Rob (Chuck) Berry from down under built this beauty using the same concept...stealing body panels off late model vehicles and making a "Frankenstein" out of all the curves and flats from existing cars. His journal is here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...02&action=view

And here is the end product:

Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
...Anyhow, great concept and drawing toddshotrods. We'll all be looking forward to seeing it turn into the real thing...
Thanks cboy. If I can get these pesky bills out of the way, I will probably start chopping the truck cab up. I could have a resemblance of my drawing rolling around relatively easily, then just spend the winter trying to get it ready for the street.

Nothing would make me happier than to have a banger-powered street rod next summer.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 09-15-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

If I had $500000 I would move back to Ohio and build hot rods with you. But I also have that bill problem.
I would rather see a V6 but everything else looks good.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Sorry, I am the one vote for "unexceptable", you asked right? By the time you modify a 1988 Chevy pickup cab to look like a hot rod, it would take so much work you might as well make something from scratch.

There are still PILES of early iron around for next to free, finding something is easier than making something out of a 88 truck.

Brian
Old 09-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Searching through R&C(dot)com, and so far I found this.

Lemme know when/if I find the one you guys mentioned...
Old 09-15-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Sorry, I am the one vote for "unexceptable", you asked right? By the time you modify a 1988 Chevy pickup cab to look like a hot rod, it would take so much work you might as well make something from scratch.

There are still PILES of early iron around for next to free, finding something is easier than making something out of a 88 truck.

Brian
Thanks (seriously), I am more comfortable knowing that there is a little balance to the opinions.

The 88 Chevy sheetmetal has subtle compound curves that would have to be "wheeled" to re-create. In the time it would take (me) to create just the exterior skins from scratch, I can have the entire cab cut, re-welded, and ready for primer.

I am not trying to debate; just giving my rationale for "why" I would do it this way. The icing on the cake is if it would encourage a lot of young, would-be, rodders to do something similar. For their first cut-n-paste projects, I think it might be better if they experimented on some 80's & 90's metal; and move on to the old stuff when they have a few more notches on their walking stick.

For me, as mentioned, I just happened to notice that the 88 sheetmetal is almost exactly what I would create from scratch. I could actually section out the distinctive factory contours and completely hide the fact that it's a Silverado cab. If I was of the shady persuasion, I would pull it off so well that I could actually lie and say I created the panels from scratch. I don't like "pulling the wool", and actually would get more enjoyment from sharing with people how I created the "old" truck; and leaving some telltale signs of what I did...

As I said, I am not trying to start a debate. I just wanted to give a better explanation of "why" I would even attempt this. Trying to expose the method behind the madness, so to speak.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 09-15-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typos

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.