Hot Rod Forum banner

Crazy LED Flasher Problem

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
........I know there is alot said about led issues, and I read a bunch but haven't seen an answer to mine yet. Anyways this is what I got :

Using a 81 Olds complete harness in my truck. It has two round 2 pin flashers ( 1 for signals one for 4ways ). I have the new round 55-59 chev truck style stainless led tail lights. For the front I got chev 47-53 style amber led's .

With stock original flashers , front & rear LED's , it will not signal, only lights up and stays on , and no 4 way either. But if I swap the front to original 1157 bulbs and have the leds in rear, then signals and 4ways work fine with original flashers.

Front and rear LED's , with "led flasher" in 4way socket then it flashes all 4 leds OK . But if put a led flasher in the signal socket then the signal lights stay on and do not flash. If I use the led flasher with 1157 bulbs in front and led's in rear then it still will not flash signal.

I'm stumped why the 4ways will flash all leds but will not flash in the signal socket ? Yet stock bulbs and flashers work fine so I know my wiring is good. Stock flasher with bulbs in front and leds in rear flash fine , but I can't get the led / stock flashers to signal all 4 led's , ??

....maybe it's this china led flasher is crap ? I opened it up, and am thinking maybe a higher value resistor in it might help ? any ideas to guide me here or if someone knows the specs for making one then I can do that too. The chinese never put a number on a transistor in this one so have no idea what it is. Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Try this...... Put the LEDs in and on the front turns, use a jumper wire and hook the 1156 bulbs in..... basicly having the LEDs and bulbs flash..... if it works then add a load resister to the front turns would be the answer. I when thru three LED flashers before I found one that worked correctly, I got it from superbrightleds.com but a can't remember the number....... my fuse box used a round type flasher and this one was square, so with two short female spade connector to female spade connector pig tails all is well.

#4 ·
......in the led flasher I have there is a 1K resistor. I tried changing it to several values as high as 47K with no difference. I also tried a lower 100 ohm value with no luck and now the 4way got dull and no longer will flash. So changed it back to the original 1K. It is my front ones that are the problem, but yet they all flash OK in 4 way flasher mode but will not flash in signal mode, strange. EOD Guy I will give it a shot with adding the front bulbs and see what happens . Thanks guys.

#5 ·
...EOD Guy , today I tried your idea . I had a couple of 1157 pigtail sockets in the shop so I tapped them into the front harness together with the led's . Left the original 2 pin round can flasher in the fuse box, open the key and hit a signal, 100% perfect both sides. They all flash normal speed and work perfect. The led flasher still won't flash them this way but I don't care now cause the original works fine. I think instead of buying more led flashers and hoping to find one that works, I am just going to use the 1157 socket on one wire , hide it so as not to see the flashing 1157 , and I'll have a working setup with no extra expense and headache trial and error looking for a working led flasher or hooking up resistors. Thanks again for the idea , I learned one today !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.