Hot Rod Forum banner

Crazy part price 7-12-16

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  idrivejunk 
#1 ·
This one is hilarious.

GM is known for having very expensive plastic moulding clips. I am talking $5 for a clip that a similar one on a BMW is 65 cents.

Check out these two. They are identical in every way. Both simply a metal nut that fits into a square hole. As a side note, GM uses these WAY too much, they are all over the cars, and for no reason what so ever other than to sell them later as nothing will work to replace them.

They are identical, check them out, the exact same size, I do not believe there is a single thing different, other than the color and the foam like coating on one of them.

The one with the rubber is part number 11610510 and is $1.08 each. The other one, the one without the rubber coating is part number 11570654 and is $3.90! LOL

Yep, I guess they are all made with the rubber on them and someone has to sit with a pocket knife and scrape off the rubber for the others and that takes a lot of labor so they have to charge more for it. :drunk:

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have to think they are insulated for a reason so they will be replaced as they were on the old door. And by the way, getting them off without breaking them is darn near impossible. Just as the rocker mounding clips on this car. Now, on this car we are replacing the rocker moulding, most all rocker mouldings would come new with the clips, not this one. I broke all but two of one of the clips, the remaining 14 will be $76.30. I broke all but one of the other clips the remaining 5 will be $19.50.

Brian

#3 ·
I took the dash ring[goes over the cluster]off of my 2007 chevy truck. I went this last week and almost dragged the kid over the parts counter i was so up set. theres one dozen clips that snap into the dash itself . They snap down and pull it tight. I ask him how much for these clips. The kid and he is just a kid.$6.65 EACH! :spank:I said bout $75.00 for a set/You are out of your mind..i was thinking ...I ask him .............i get a discount , on all my GM parts.Well with my discount came i about $5.50 each. I'll get my needle nose pliers out and get them old ones back in working condition. OR i may just sell the truck. just for spite 7-6 -2016

Well things do get higher! in price but that was a slap in the face. Auto parts don't even have a listing for them in their books.Whose making a fool outa who here, ha ha ha cheers bob s

#12 ·
This was at work where I could care less how much money is saved, my labor costs more than saving a few bucks on some clips. I have to say, this is so true with a lot of things we do in business, saving a buck here or there but not getting the car out the gate, holy crap, that is a waste!

Brian

#13 ·
It's not that I care if they are different, my point is the difference in price only, that is all I was talking about. As far as needing them, they are very hard to remove from the hole they are in without damaging them. Yes sometimes you can do it, but when there is no access from the back which is most of the time, they can't be removed without damaging them. And the time spent doing it isn't worth the price.

Brian

#14 ·
Aveco fasteners will have any type fastener you need https://auveco.com/ I've been using them for years.
That small steel clip uses a 7 mm screw and is usually used on a headlight where it meets the fender, one on each side. The larger one is used to hold the plastic headlight mounting bar to the radiator support also 7mm screw, if I remember correctly. I repair a lot of Impalas and these clips are always needed so I get get them by the box or I'll remove them from a parts car getting them out is easy you just take the screw out and squeeze the tongs together. I have the tool to make it even easier but I used long nose plyers for many years.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Make a screw/bolt to attach to a dent puller to remove them from damaged panels or donor cars/salvage yards. Most of the time when I go to the U-Pull yard to get a part I need and they don't have it I will grab little things like that and let them know and they just wave me on free of charge just because I'm honest with them about it.:thumbup: Unlike most who just stick that small stuff in their pockets and walk out.:nono::pain:

#18 ·
I'll give it a try but they self destruct when I try to get them out. I remove a lot of stuff that are "one time use" kinda stuff, I can be pretty good at it. Those there, they have kicked my butt.

Brian

#22 ·
Man I am glad to not be fussing with clips so much these days. All I have to add is that when it comes to any kind of expensive and obnoxiously designed clips, metal or plastic... a regular table knife (sometimes tweaked to suit) has been the answer for me many many times. They are sufficiently sturdy and compact for this type of thing, and you probably have plenty but not in the work toolbox. Its how I used to get GM W-body rocker moldings off without breaking every clip.

The metal clips with "bird fingers" are not very forgiving though. Everything about the clip and hole has to be like new or else its no good. I do think its wrong, and always have, that the same part number has a different price depending on what you drive or are fixing, or where you ask. Thats BS, but fair play in the car biz I reckon.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.