Creating NEW t-bucket frame plans - Need TONS of info, plans & measurements - HELP! - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 08:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It is pretty much a do your own thing deal. builders usually try to keep the width of the frame pretty much the same as an original T. Farna gave the link to Wescott's web page that shows the original Ford T measurements.
http://www.tbucket.com/ has something like a thousand photos of T's and several are photos of the bare frame.
Gallery 29 shows a photo of what is pretty much considered a standard T bucket chassis. Rectangular tube frame, suicide front spring mount, kick up in the rear over the axle. It also looks like he did the same thing that I did and that is using square tubing for the front crossmember, I never liked the looks of it after I did it and would use round tubing the next time. (It just flat looks better}.
Gallery 55 shows The Kookie T that had its photo on the cover of Life magazine and got the whole Tbucket thing started after the car was featured on the tv show 77 Sunset strip. That car is the grandfather of all Tbuckets although there were others around at the same time it became the benchmark for building a Tbucket.
Although most are built on a 98 Inch wheel base you are open to do your own thing there. The position of The Suicide front mount can determine front end height and the amount or rear kick up in the frame again determines the height at the rear. Or if you want to run coilovers or a coil spring front end (take a look at the Pepto pink car in Gallery 30). They probably used Corvair coils that were available pretty cheap new in the 70's.
A suggestion that I made in an earlier thread was to use some 2X4 lumber to mock up a frame to see what it would look like and how everything would fit

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 03:54 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

im still heading towards having a full set of plans, but as ive said before, my computer realy slows me down, and after 20 min of work on the design it needs to be restarted ... so its not a case whre i can just realy sit down for a few hours and work straight thru

ive been showing (fro the most part) images of the "mock up vehical" i have drawn up, but ive also got a "sheet set" for both designs where everything gets transfered to a printable page
Old 02-27-2006, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

Just out of curiosity, what program are you using to design with?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:26 AM

my computer is incapable of runing a cad program ... it locks up just starting one up, heck, it sometimes locks up just trying to start coreldraw ...

so im using the emachineshop program as (for the most part) a 2d drafting program, and then individual parts i want a 3d view of i have to do seperate file. theres no way to make multiple parts and then combine them to give 3d asembly views

so for the most part, its just a glorified piece of graph paper ..
Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Lowroller - you're doing good work here. You're plans will no doubt be helpful to many current rodders and for many future rodders as well.

I don't want to divert this thread from it's true intent, but for those who might be considering the twin I-Beam option which was discussed earlier, just be aware that ALL Ford Twin I-Beams are not alike. And you may be disappointed if you run off to the bone yard to pick apart just any old F-150 or Ranger for your parts.

Twin I beams come in two basic varieties, forged steel and stamped steel. The forged steel units were produced from '65 to '81 for the F-Series pickups and at first glance, particularly head on, these units have a rather traditional appearance as can be seen in this picture.

However, even among the forged steel units there are some differences. The '80 and '81 units were made a little taller and a little less "traditional looking". The beams on my rat roadster are 81's - so you can compare the two styles in my journal. Also the 80/81 beams are front steer while the prior years are rear steer. Because of the way beams mount to your frame, the front steer/rear steer question needs to be kept in mind during your chassis design.

The BIG change in beams came in '82 when Ford went to a stamped steel design. These units are, for the most part, shorter in length, taller, bulkier, and have a pronounced bend/dip in them near the pivot end. To me, these units do not have the traditional '30's axle appearance that I like and I would not personally use them on a vehicle where the axles were exposed - even under a full fendered 30's style car. Also, while the Ranger series DID utilize the twin I-beam suspension just like the F-Series, these trucks all came equipped with the later stamped steel beams and thus, do not provide the traditional look that you might be after. Bottom line, if it were me, I'd narrow my search to '79 and earlier F-150s.

It was also pointed out in a prior post that the twin beam suspension is wider than a traditional front axle and that, in my case, I built the chassis and designed the body width to fit the proportions of the F-150 parts (both front and rear end). This is exactly right and becomes particularly important for anyone considering the use of beams with a T-bucket or similar car. I haven't really spent a lot of time with such a design, but I'm thinking that a stock 23-T body with a very short wheelbase would end up looking out of proportion when set on a chassis with twin beams. You could test out the "look" fairly effectively be drawing an overhead sketch of the car using the dimensions of the body, the wheelbase, and the axle widths. If the car ends of looking almost like a square box in the overhead sketch, you can pretty well bet it is going to look out of proportion once you put it together.

One option to get things back into proportion is to widening and/or lengthen the body of the T-bucket or to extend the total wheelbase of the car. Not necessarily easy, but it could be a workable alternative.

Dewey
Old 03-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

I have E Machine also but haven't played with it too much yet.

That is a Killer look from that angle Cboy. A well proportioned rig where everything seems to flow together.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:31 AM

omfg omfg omfg !!!

i wound up with a virus on my computer

anyone wanna gues which folder took the brunt of the abuse ????

luckily i had most of the info backed up, because i got into the habit of aving individual items as new versions instead of just saving it under the original name

4link 1
4link 2
4link 3 ... etc

if i ever hear someone even mention how they want to write a virus, im going to rip their lungs out, even if i have to do it with sheer power of will from a mile away ....

frackin viri writers, stealing car stereos is a more respetable hobby then doing what you do!

/rant

more updates later ... but not exactly "soon"
Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

That may explain why your computer didn't want to run a CAD program. I'd suggest reformatting the HD and installing everyting all over. As soon as you get Windows installed, enable the firewall then install a virus protection program. You can go on the net to www.grisoft.com and get AVG for free. I've been using it for years. As soon as you d/l that, disconnect from the net and scan the computer -- it should have nothing but Windows and AVG on it. You're lible to find some things, especially if you have broadband. The firewall might prevent it though. Once AVG is installed, then you can go d/l any software or drivers you need.

Windows leaves trash all over as it runs, so it's a good idea to reformat and reinstall on occasion. If you know your basic setup isn't going to change much, do a backup on CD-ROM once evrything is installed. Then if you have problems again you can reformat and pop the backup in. All your data files will be gone (unless saved), and you'll have to reinstall anything you put on or changed after the backup, but you'll be at least 50% done after the restore.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:51 AM

i just did a fresh install 2 months ago, and i was trying to run the cad within a few days of doing the remormat .... before i even had all my "usual" programs reinstalled on the computer, at that point i had windows, aol, aim, and the cad program, nothing more

my system is just an 370(?) pin intel celeron 1.8 gig with 256mb of ram

i know exactly where the virus came from, one of those deals where you double click, realize your mistake instantly and scream like hell while you instantly start the damage control

if the virus had decided to hit one folder up, it just would have been eating images i already have uploaded all over the place

if it had hit one folder down, it would have eaten files that are borderline on worthless

ah well, my systems clean again, im firewalled, and i have one virus program always running, and regularly scan with 2 different internet based virus scans also

this was my first virus in like 3 years

edit: and oh yea, all my programs are on one drive(C), and my own files are on a second drive(D), so anytime i go to reinstall i just transfer anything thats important to my D: drive, sort it to wheer it belongs, and i wipe the C and do a reinstall

i also have an extra drive, so if C is crashed and wont start, i always have an extra empty drive to do my install on, and i can run all 3 drives till i can clean what i need out of my old c drive, then the old c drive becomes my back up again

which only works because i have 2 seperate windows registration files saved to floppy

Last edited by lowROLLERchevy; 03-06-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:37 AM

The 1800 MHz Celeron isn't the bottle neck, the 256MB of RAM is. Especially if you're running XP (home or Pro). RAM is pretty cheap right now -- another 256MB would wake your computer right up and probably run the CAD program. I'd go for another 512MB while it's open though. There's not much speed difference noticed after 512MB with XP unless you do a lot of multi tasking. I noticed a little increase when I went from 512MB to 1GB, but I sometimes have PageMaker 6, Corel Photo Paint 8, and at least one Firefox window open (usually two!) at the same time. I'll be editing/lating out the AMC publication I put out, have a couple pic files open for editing as I work, and be looking for something on the internet at the same time. The graphics files take a good bit of memory, so having more RAM means more are in RAM rather than spooled to the hard drive. That speeds switching between windows up quite a bit!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 AM

^^^ sounds liek me

atthe moment i have very little open: aol, aim, windows media player, hotrodders.com and nyspeed.com

and i can easly wind up with 3 or 4 more webpages open, corel, emachinshop, and a downloader program

if i had the available funds, id go right for a gig of ram, but thats not gonna happen for a while. shoulda done it when i bought the computer, but oh well
Old 03-07-2006, 09:52 AM

Last journal entry: Model A finally starts to get it's motor
Last photo:

Wescotts has all the factory dimensions for a t-bucket frame. It even has all the mounting holes and such. A great piece of info.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:41 PM

Do you have all that open when trying to run a CAD program? If so, reboot and kill all the extra stuff, then it might run. RAM is pretty cheap, and you'll think you have a new computer just by going to 512K. Might find some good used RAM on e-bay -- the newer computers can't use the older RAM. I'm going to try Linux on my old computer -- a home built Athlon 1200 (not 64) with a gig of RAM. I've been reluctant to run Linux due to program availability, but now that I've seen KDE (a desktop that resembles Windows) and WINE (a program that doesn't emulate Windows, but has the APIs re-written to use Linux, so it will run many Windows programs -- though a few functions do require emulation) I think I'm going to experiment with it a bit. That way I can see if I can live with the environment and run the couple programs I really need -- mainly PageMaker 6 (or 7 -- need to upgrade!). But there's a couple Linux DTP programs now, so I can try them out before ditching or upgrading PageMaker.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:01 PM

i tried a few times to run the cad program right after restart, and it would take maybe 10 minutes to start lagging

i would buy some ram, but at the moment ive got like $2 to my name, and having probs finding a job, so its gonna be a while before i can upgrade my computer at all
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM

If your needing help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy
EDIT - DECEMBER 29: PLEASE DONT SUGGEST PLACES I CAN BUY PLANS OR FRAMES OR THIS AND THAT. IM AM ATTEMPTING TO DESIGN PLANS FOR THE RODDING COMMUNITY, I AM NOT PERSONALY BUILDING A TBUCKET. IM NOT TRYING TO SPEND MONEY FOR OHER PEOPLE BY BUYING INFORMATION JUST SO I CAN GIVE THE PLANS AWAY FREE IN THE END.

THIS IS SIMPLY AN ATTEMPT TO GATHER INFORMATION TO REPLACE THE LAST SET OF PLANS THAT WERE POSTED HERE ON HR.COM, WHICH HAD TO BE TAKEN DOWN DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

im sure plenty of my following requests are answered here or on the web, but i cant search for everything, everywhere, and wind up with all the possible answers, im asking for help from all of you to help me gather up a TON of info

please keep this on topic

please correct any mistakes you see along the way

please feel free to submit any extra info that pops into your head

if you have / can make paper patterns of an item and its easier to snail mail them to me instead of finding a scanner & such, pm me for my mailing address

ok, so the LAST t-bucket frame plans had to be taken down due to copyright issues, i recently got a CAD drafting program, im am going to learn the program by doing 2d and 3d illistrations for a new set of t bucket plans

The original plans were just drop axle, sbc & radius rod set ups front and rear, quite plain, only gave limited options before you had to start desiging stuf yourself if you wanted to do it different

what im LOOKING for is EVERYTHING

anyone have or know i can find:

drop axle plans (of all drop amounts)
suicide front suspension plans
mustang2 bracket plans
single leaf setup for dropped axle
coil spring setup for dropped axle

motor mount patterns for ALL the major engines
tranny mount patterns for al the major tranny options
steering box mount patterns for all the major options

4 link rear suspension plans
triangulated 4 link plans
radius rod set ups

how much frame "looks good" ahead of the radiator
how thick your radiator assembly is with the fan
how much room you have between the radiator and engine
i how much suspension travel do you have
how much is your rear frame stepped ?

what else can you give me plans for ?
scratch built fuel tanks?
headlight brackets?
anybody run the exhaust under the car?
where did you mount your battery?
where did you mount your electric ful pump ?

i donno, im out of questions .... feel free to post ANYTHING that coms to mind
Hi lowrollerchevy,
If you are requiring help in redrawing any of these items, i have been working as a graphic artist/illustrator for about 8 years and would gladly help, especially to aviod copyright issues, it would be nice to have a set of plans that were free to any new budding rodder to download. Every cent saved is a cent more you could spend on your rod.
Happy rodding from down under.
Cheers
Lucus

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.