Hot Rod Forum banner

Creating a Turnsignal / brakelight

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  adantessr 
#1 ·
I currently have a pair of 1950 Pontiac style LED tail lights. I was wondering if there is anyway to make them act as brakelights / turnsignals with any sort of resistor combination or module.

Thanks

#2 ·
Do the LED tail lights have (2) wires or (3) wires?
(2) wires would be ground and hot which means the lights have only a single brightness.
(3) wires would be ground, tail light and brake light/turn signal. This means the lights have dim for tail lights and bright for brake light/turn signal.
Brand and cat # would be a help.
Let us know.

vicrod

#3 ·
vicrod said:
Do the LED tail lights have (2) wires or (3) wires?
(2) wires would be ground and hot which means the lights have only a single brightness.
(3) wires would be ground, tail light and brake light/turn signal. This means the lights have dim for tail lights and bright for brake light/turn signal.
Brand and cat # would be a help.
Let us know.

vicrod
The taillights have 3 wires one red, one white, and one black. They are Speedway motors brand Item #:91137053
Thanks for the fast response.

#4 ·
The (3) wires tells me that the black wire is ground. The white wire is for taillight. The red wire is for brake/turn.
Verify the white and red wires are as stated by connecting the black wire to ground and white and red wires to + 12 volt DC source.
I don't understand why you didn't get instructions with the lights.
The wiring is the same as a conventional combined taillight-brake/turn bulb.
You will need to identify the harness wires for taillight, brake/turn and ground.
Also the turn signal and hazard flashers will need to changed to a solid state type as the LEDs do not incur enough load to operate a standard flasher. Speedway Motors sell them.

vicrod

#6 ·
vicrod said:
The (3) wires tells me that the black wire is ground. The white wire is for taillight. The red wire is for brake/turn.
Verify the white and red wires are as stated by connecting the black wire to ground and white and red wires to + 12 volt DC source.
I don't understand why you didn't get instructions with the lights.
The wiring is the same as a conventional combined taillight-brake/turn bulb.
You will need to identify the harness wires for taillight, brake/turn and ground.
Also the turn signal and hazard flashers will need to changed to a solid state type as the LEDs do not incur enough load to operate a standard flasher. Speedway Motors sell them.

vicrod
I was able to by a solid state flasher from advance auto parts for less than $20.oo for my bucket. It may have been less than $10.oo . It was last year and I have slept since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.