Creative Marketing or Subtle Sarcasm ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Creative Marketing or Subtle Sarcasm ?

Get your new Cods NOW !
The Spirit of Boyd, S.O.B., is finally here. Hot Rods by Boyd - the Original Boyd Coddington Wheels Est. 1978

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'd probably have to take a second mortgage to afford those SOB's.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

didn't Boyds X- wife ( Diane) end up with the wheel end of his business, after their divorce?and now run by his son?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat View Post
didn't Boyds X- wife ( Diane) end up with the wheel end of his business, after their divorce?and now run by his son?
You may have just solved the S.O.B. mystery, Amigo !
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Honestly I'm not that huge fan of them.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Boyds doesn't have very good reviews on the company reviews page, or on a few web sites,, I guess his newest wife ( JO) is now the owner,,and his son Chris is running the co,

Hotrodders Company Reviews Boyd Coddington

Last edited by Bad Rat; 08-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,050 Posts
It's a shame, the guy created some memorable machines and will be remembered for his personality on a lame tv show.

Brian
Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

I agree, Brian, but that seems to be the case in a lot of areas.

What bothers me is that these "SUPER builders" with AH personalities and inflated EGOS - - - - aren't any better than a lot of the members here and on other Forums that don't have the notoriety that the, so called, Iconic Builders have.

I don't care how great someone is, if they can't be civil to their fellow man then I have no use for them.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,050 Posts
I agree with you, I have so much respect for a gentleman like Ron Covell who believes we are all equal when it comes to building a car.

I do have to say that there is no reason to have any kind of animosity towards those who have the "big name" either.

The first time I ever showed a car in a big shot car show my brother was getting a little amped up over the big boys and who they had better locations in the place for their cars and how they got preferential treatment, many times the car wasn't as nice as his roadster that we were showing. And I could see that these "big names" had contributed so much over the years to that show. While my brother and I were sitting at home screwing off and all we knew about the show as what we saw in our clean clothes as we talked around the place with a beer in our hand looking at the cars while those "big names" had sweated for years putting MANY cars in the show every year. Those big names had sold a LOT of tickets for the promotor over the years, it was RIGHT that they got some special treatment.

It's like going to the Olympic trails here in the states and seeing Michael Phelps against the no bodies competing for a chance to go to London, of course he is going to be looked at differently, I understand that. It's no "conspiracy" it's simply life.

Brian
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

This is also true in any business someone is involved in, especally if that business bears that persons name, any bad publicity falls directly on that persons shoulders,, and the business gets a huge black eye ,,whether he was involved in the problem or not,
the name gets drug through the mud, and probably 90% of the time the owner has no knowledge of any problem,, its the employees that are charged with handling a problem that are most likely trying to cover their own tracks, or simply just doing their job, but when those complaints start showing up multible times, the owner needs to do something about it, or it starts looking like this is routine for them,," Houston,, we have a problem"
I never met Boyd. Just watched his show sometimes,, and like most tv shows they need drama to keep the viewers attention, the short completion time, can't get parts, lost parts ETC, mostly for the viewers to stress over, and stay tuned in,,
But at the same time I wondered if his TV personality , was anything like his REAL temperment?? certainly hope not,, cause his TV personallty sucked.
And then theres Duane>>>
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM

I heard that the first 500 S.O.B. wheels are limited edition .. they have some of his ashes cast in them.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I suspect that Boyd's personality was something less than seen on TV, but probably not totally opposite either. It's reality TV, but there's a lot of editing and prodding from the production crews to make "good TV".
In the end Boyd had the final say so as to how he was portrayed, and i he didn't like it he could have demanded it be changed, or stop doing it. I don't feel sorry for how he let himself be portrayed when it was his show to make.
I'd guess the wheel name was a word play on his personality on or off the show.

I'd also say I doubt Boyd's estate had anything to do with the wheels, as his wheel business was sold to his son long before Boyd died.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.