Creative Ways of Attaching Door Panels - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What's wrong with panel clips, for crying out loud? You can't see them (one of your requirements not met by any screw or button covered screw), they hold like crazy (another requirement you and we all like), they're easy to install and remove(with the right tool) (another requirement done), they're just as cheap a thing as you can get (the most often asked for requirement for any car project), AND, how many times does anyone ever remove their door panels in any lifetime anyway?
Sometimes there just isn't a box to think outside of, yaknowhatimean?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I totally agree with Pasadenahotrod. The other problem with velcro is the self stick kind will fail in high temperature settings. I suppose the velcro could be pop riveted too, but that seems like a lot of extra work for nothing. They do make a velcro called "Super Adhesive" that will stand up to high temp, but it's extremely expensive, $4.50 a yard for one side only. The button coverings that were talked about are called Dura-Snap buttons, but they only come in size 30 and 36 (about 3/4" and 7/8") which would be pretty big on a door panel. Why don't you like metal door panel clips, Alan? (I agree that the plastic ones suck.) I use Au-ve-co #10780 offset trim fasteners. Lay out the holes on the door and mark the same position on the door panel. Then I punch or drill a 1/2" hole in the same position 5/8" away from the outside edge of the panel. This way you upholster the panel and then hook the clips in the holes in the panel afterward. It makes upholstering the panel easier because you don't have the clips in the way, and they are extremely easy to adjust this way which makes attaching the door panel much easier. Another benefit is that the holes in the panel are farther away from the outside edge which makes a stronger panel.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Last photo:

Panel clips can be a bit of a challenge to hide when you are trying to keep the door panel as thin as possible. 1/8" Luan or ABS plus 1/8" closed cell foam padding covered with leather.

Vince
Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

go to Wally World & purchase packs of Velcro...pick up some Gorilla glue.... glue 4" long Velcro strips every 12 inches to panels & inside doors in corresponding locations....job done.

don't ask me how i know.....
Old 02-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Vini Vidi Vici

Last photo:

Don't use velcro. Use door panel clipse, and if you want them to disappear for a thin application, counter sink them. Just when removing the panel, use a proper tool and don't just yank on the board.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Should I also assemble car seats using Gorilla glue and velcro instead of sewing them? If Velcro and Gorilla glue was the best way to attach a door panel, don't you think that the car manufacturers would use it? Why is that? Because it takes way more time, effort, and money to attach them that way. Why would you want to spend $20.00 to attach a door panel when you could attach it for $2.00?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Why don't you like metal door panel clips, Alan? (I agree that the plastic ones suck.) I use Au-ve-co #10780 offset trim fasteners.
The main thing that bugs me is lining them up. Aside from the plastic ones (which is probably why I'm over-reacting), I've only tried Au-ve-co #11406 (old school). I'm not familiar with #10780.

How many do you use on a typical panel, Dan?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horvath
The main thing that bugs me is lining them up. How many do you use on a typical panel, Dan?
Make your door panel and hang it where you want it with a couple self tapping screws and drill 1/8" holes through the panel and door where you want clips. That's the center mark for your clips. Then go back and drill 1/4" holes in your door. I like to put them about 6" appart. Check the door before you drill. There are some places where you can't put clips.
Bob
Old 02-09-2007, 06:54 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
What's wrong with panel clips, for crying out loud? You can't see them (one of your requirements not met by any screw or button covered screw), they hold like crazy (another requirement you and we all like), they're easy to install and remove(with the right tool) (another requirement done), they're just as cheap a thing as you can get (the most often asked for requirement for any car project), AND, how many times does anyone ever remove their door panels in any lifetime anyway?
Sometimes there just isn't a box to think outside of, yaknowhatimean?
Did you read the title for this post? It says creative ways to install door panels. Not ways to install door panels like they have been doing for the last 75 years. Now with that said, I personally wouldn't worry about it to much and would probably use the plastic clips. I'm not going to tell someone there wrong over something this trivial. It's his build/project and he can do it however he wishes. And Dan Two lakes, no one said anything about assembling seats with the stuff, and apparently you haven't taken any late model seat apart.They are using Velcro on certain parts of the seat upholstery. I don't understand why ya'll have to be so critical over this,it's not like we suggested velcroing down a new 650 demon to the manifold. Brian
Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You are correct, the title of the thread is creative ways to attach door panels. My point was and still is this: You can come up with thousands of ways to attach door panels using everything under the sun to attach them with but sometimes what has worked for 75 years is still the best way to do something. Yes, I have taken apart late model seats, and they use Velcro or Velstick in place of the wires and hogrings that have been used forever, and it works great. I never said that old ways can't be improved upon, and I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my comments.
To answer your question, Alan, Bob C is right on. 6" apart is a good guideline. If you use the offset clips, they can be turned in their holes slightly and lined up with the holes in the door as you go. This way the clip position isn't as critical, and you don't have to deal with the clips when you are upholstering the door panel.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, one and all - you've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.

The Au-ve-co clip #10780 is pretty similar to #11406 ... either way, you sandwich them, right?

Here's #10780:

Here's #11406:

But the #10780 looks like it may slide in from the side and hug the edge of the panel ... is that right?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horvath
Thanks, one and all - you've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.

The Au-ve-co clip #10780 is pretty similar to #11406 ... either way, you sandwich them, right?
Yes

But the #10780 looks like it may slide in from the side and hug the edge of the panel ... is that right?
No, punch a hole in the door panel and slide them in. Look at an original door panel to see how it's done

I use #2385 for steel doors and #10780 for fiberglass. The nice thing about them is if you damage a clip it can easily be changed.
Bob
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Thanks!

What's the difference between #2385 & #10780? I get a "no find" at Au-ve-co for #2385 and I have steel doors.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 11406 is a straight clip, not offset. That clip would have to be in the panel when you upholster it because the head of the clip is directly over the shank of the clip, and the diameter of the hole in the panel would have to be be smaller so the head of the clip doesn't pull through the panel. The other two clips are almost exactly the same. They are both offset clips, but the 10780 is a little longer, which would make them better for fiberglass doors, and the 2385 are shorter ones which would be better for steel doors. You slide the top of the clip into a 1/2" hole in the panel that is offset 5/8" to the inside of the hole in the door. In other words......the shank of the offset clip is directly over the 1/4" hole in the door, but the head of the offset clip is more to the inside. Because the hole in the panel is 1/2" in diameter, you slide the clips into the panel right before you attach the panel. I like the 10780 for all doors, but that's a personal preference. 1720 clips are almost identical to 2385 clips. Don't glue your padding material real closely around the 1/2" holes in the panel so the clips can be moved slightly as you attach the panel to the door.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-09-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:11 PM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Look the whole reason I got my panties in a twist was the fact that people were "POO POO 'ing " all over the idea of Velcro. It would be an easy way to install. No holes to drill, no worry about making sure the clips were lined up etc etc etc..........If that is not YOUR preference fine just say that and tell how you would in stall it. Maybe I'm just being to sensitive, I'll just go take some PAMPRIN or MIDOL and go take a nap....... No harm No foul.Brian

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.