Hot Rod Forum banner

Creative Ways of Attaching Door Panels

33K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  horvath 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't gotten to fabricating door panels for my truck yet, but will be soon enough and I've been daydreaming about ways of attaching the panels to the doors for months and months on end.

I can't stand the idea of using door panel clips ... they're such a pain in the butt; the plastic ones get ruined after a while; the old-school metal ones are much cooler (if you ask me) ... but this, in my opinion, is just a rotten way of doing it.

I keep thinking I want to screw the panels to the doors. That way, whenever I want to remove and replace them, it's a simple and surefire method. Problem is, who wants to see screws? It certainly presents a challenging design problem.

Harley Davidson sells chrome button-head screws that use an allen wrench and look pretty cool but, again, it's a challenging design problem.

Recently, I've been thinking the screws could be hidden into the design of the panels by putting them behind a flap that's secured with velcro ... or by making complimentary buttons that are velcro'd over the screws.
:mwink:

What do you think? Or ... have you any creative ideas in this area?

See less See more
#2 ·
I used to work for a freightliner dealer in alabama. Freightliner used a round plastic piece with a screw through the center and had a vinyl button cover that just pushed onto the plastic piece. you used to be able to get them at the dealer and might be able to find them at a big truck parts store. They had a bunch of different colors when I worked at the dealer in case we lost one while we were working on the truck. Hope this helps Brian :thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks, Brian -- That's what I'm talkin' about -- those sure would be nice to find! Simple clip ons! I'll be watching out for those for sure.

Thanks, Mike -- There's a pretty cool interior shop near me ... I'm gonna visit them when the weather starts warming up and pick their brains as well as show them what I've been doing.

Hey, Vince -- Scooter's web site is killer!

Here's his Project - I'm gonna dig in and see what he did:
http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=847

#8 ·
brian0605 said:
I used to work for a freightliner dealer in alabama. Freightliner used a round plastic piece with a screw through the center and had a vinyl button cover that just pushed onto the plastic piece. you used to be able to get them at the dealer and might be able to find them at a big truck parts store. They had a bunch of different colors when I worked at the dealer in case we lost one while we were working on the truck. Hope this helps Brian :thumbup:
boat builder use that same button, its works good

#10 ·
brian0605 said:

The screw covers can be found at Lowes. The area where they have bins of screws, bolts etc. I've seen them in black, white and yellow. I painted mine with SEM coat, perfect. Pretty sure I've seen them at Home Depot as well.

#11 ·
Thanks, 35WINDOW -- Curious ... the picture is a bit small; I'm not sure what it does or how ...

Hey, Brian -- I mentioned using velcro in my opening post. It could do the job, but a clip-on screw cover would be simpler and more secure; if someone hit or brushed up against a button cover that was held on with velcro, they could easily knock it off.

Thanks S10Fan -- Home Depot, eh? Too cool! I'll check that out today!

#12 ·
horvath said:
Thanks, 35WINDOW -- Curious ... the picture is a bit small; I'm not sure what it does or how ...

horvath,

Your Thread really had me thinking (for my Project I'd like something that was not noticeable), so I went through an on-line Catalog that someone here had showed us. That part is really the little clip that holds side marker lights on GM cars-Part #19200 (you'd have to get the receptacle to fit it, I believe)-you might want to look through this Catalog for ideas (they have a lot of Fasteners there)-hope this helps-

look here:

http://www.auveco.com/index.htm

#14 ·
horvath said:

Hey, Brian -- I mentioned using Velcro in my opening post. It could do the job, but a clip-on screw cover would be simpler and more secure; if someone hit or brushed up against a button cover that was held on with Velcro, they could easily knock it off.

Thanks S10Fan -- Home Depot, eh? Too cool! I'll check that out today!
No I meant using Velcro on the back side of the panel to hold it to the door. Not using screws at all.Place the Velcro around the perimeter and a couple of short strips in the middle. I have used Velcro with self stick backing 1inch to 1.5inch wide to attach other kinds of access panels. It really holds securely. I have also used it to mount a C.B. a few years ago. It allowed me to quickly move it from one vehicle to another and it never moved. Just an idea,trying to think outside the box.............Brian :D

#15 ·
Hey, 35WINDOW -- Good ol' Au-Ve-Co! Thanks for the link. I emailed them and asked ... and also gave them a link to this thread; we'll see if they respond!

Thanks, Brian -- I've thought about that, too. But I always think the velcro is gonna be a bit of a pain in getting the panel to sit precisely where you want it. Maybe I'm wrong ... velcro *is* a bit "spongy" if you know what I mean. I'd be concerned about the panel sitting too much OFF of the door - velcro would take up about 1/16th of an inch in thickness. Your point is well taken though ... I'd rather use velcro than panel clips!

#16 ·
What's wrong with panel clips, for crying out loud? You can't see them (one of your requirements not met by any screw or button covered screw), they hold like crazy (another requirement you and we all like), they're easy to install and remove(with the right tool) (another requirement done), they're just as cheap a thing as you can get (the most often asked for requirement for any car project), AND, how many times does anyone ever remove their door panels in any lifetime anyway?
Sometimes there just isn't a box to think outside of, yaknowhatimean?

#17 ·
I totally agree with Pasadenahotrod. The other problem with velcro is the self stick kind will fail in high temperature settings. I suppose the velcro could be pop riveted too, but that seems like a lot of extra work for nothing. They do make a velcro called "Super Adhesive" that will stand up to high temp, but it's extremely expensive, $4.50 a yard for one side only. The button coverings that were talked about are called Dura-Snap buttons, but they only come in size 30 and 36 (about 3/4" and 7/8") which would be pretty big on a door panel. Why don't you like metal door panel clips, Alan? (I agree that the plastic ones suck.) I use Au-ve-co #10780 offset trim fasteners. Lay out the holes on the door and mark the same position on the door panel. Then I punch or drill a 1/2" hole in the same position 5/8" away from the outside edge of the panel. This way you upholster the panel and then hook the clips in the holes in the panel afterward. It makes upholstering the panel easier because you don't have the clips in the way, and they are extremely easy to adjust this way which makes attaching the door panel much easier. Another benefit is that the holes in the panel are farther away from the outside edge which makes a stronger panel.

#21 ·
Should I also assemble car seats using Gorilla glue and velcro instead of sewing them? If Velcro and Gorilla glue was the best way to attach a door panel, don't you think that the car manufacturers would use it? Why is that? Because it takes way more time, effort, and money to attach them that way. Why would you want to spend $20.00 to attach a door panel when you could attach it for $2.00?

#22 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
Why don't you like metal door panel clips, Alan? (I agree that the plastic ones suck.) I use Au-ve-co #10780 offset trim fasteners.
The main thing that bugs me is lining them up. Aside from the plastic ones (which is probably why I'm over-reacting), I've only tried Au-ve-co #11406 (old school). I'm not familiar with #10780.

How many do you use on a typical panel, Dan?

#23 ·
horvath said:
The main thing that bugs me is lining them up. How many do you use on a typical panel, Dan?
Make your door panel and hang it where you want it with a couple self tapping screws and drill 1/8" holes through the panel and door where you want clips. That's the center mark for your clips. Then go back and drill 1/4" holes in your door. I like to put them about 6" appart. Check the door before you drill. There are some places where you can't put clips.
Bob

#24 ·
pasadenahotrod said:
What's wrong with panel clips, for crying out loud? You can't see them (one of your requirements not met by any screw or button covered screw), they hold like crazy (another requirement you and we all like), they're easy to install and remove(with the right tool) (another requirement done), they're just as cheap a thing as you can get (the most often asked for requirement for any car project), AND, how many times does anyone ever remove their door panels in any lifetime anyway?
Sometimes there just isn't a box to think outside of, yaknowhatimean?
Did you read the title for this post? It says creative ways to install door panels. Not ways to install door panels like they have been doing for the last 75 years. Now with that said, I personally wouldn't worry about it to much and would probably use the plastic clips. I'm not going to tell someone there wrong over something this trivial. It's his build/project and he can do it however he wishes. And Dan Two lakes, no one said anything about assembling seats with the stuff, and apparently you haven't taken any late model seat apart.They are using Velcro on certain parts of the seat upholstery. I don't understand why ya'll have to be so critical over this,it's not like we suggested velcroing down a new 650 demon to the manifold. :p :D Brian

#25 ·
You are correct, the title of the thread is creative ways to attach door panels. My point was and still is this: You can come up with thousands of ways to attach door panels using everything under the sun to attach them with but sometimes what has worked for 75 years is still the best way to do something. Yes, I have taken apart late model seats, and they use Velcro or Velstick in place of the wires and hogrings that have been used forever, and it works great. I never said that old ways can't be improved upon, and I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my comments.
To answer your question, Alan, Bob C is right on. 6" apart is a good guideline. If you use the offset clips, they can be turned in their holes slightly and lined up with the holes in the door as you go. This way the clip position isn't as critical, and you don't have to deal with the clips when you are upholstering the door panel.

#26 ·
Thanks, one and all - you've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.

The Au-ve-co clip #10780 is pretty similar to #11406 ... either way, you sandwich them, right?

Here's #10780:

Here's #11406:

But the #10780 looks like it may slide in from the side and hug the edge of the panel ... is that right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.