Hot Rod Forum banner

Creepers, this one is the BOMB!

8K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  alkey 
#1 ·
I bought this great creeper years ago being it's "old school" and I love that stuff. My brother had one just like it as did my uncle from back in the fifties or something, exact same design. So I dug it for that, and it is bullet proof.

But back a few years ago I got this Lisle one for work and it is SOOOO MUCH BETTER it's not funny!

And get the real thing, there are copies that break, I have seen it. So buy the quality tool, it's worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-92102-Red-Plastic-Creeper/dp/B0002SR0V2

Brian

See less See more
#7 ·
I got my pony tail caught in the wheel one time when I was all alone in the shop in almost never got out from under that car ,my hair was wound around the wheel good..When I finally did get out I had to carry the creeper with me and cut the hair off that was stuck in there...
Since then,I've cut my hair short and its been about 10 yrs and I still wont use any kind of creeper. I still use the old pad that was on it to lay on when have too, or card board...Plus the wheels always find the blobs of bondo on the floor and get hung up on them . :mad: I don't like creepers very much...bad memories...:sweat::sweat:

#3 ·
I have a metal framed one that is creeper and rolling seat when folded, bad part was the thin wood used under the padding, I'll add angle alum cross brace to add some strength,, not the creepers fault, I tend to fall into it,, and I'm sure it wasn't made for 200 lb+ to plop into/on it.

#4 ·
One thing cool about the Lisle is that it is so low. And I have seen a car drive over one without breaking it, they are serious high quality.

Brian

#5 ·
I have one identical to the wooden one Brian posted but rarely ever use it.

I would rather lay on a couple thicknesses of cardboard as to use a creeper. For one thing, this 70 year old guy can't get off it. Much easier for me to put my knee on the cardboard and get up like the old man I am. :D

John

#9 ·
At a young age I did quite a bit of side work for a for a "gypsy" (how everyone refered to charter bus companys that ran junk buses) bus company. All work was performed outside in a gravel parking lot. Creepers don't roll very well on gravel. There was a full time mechanic that introduced me to the wonders of cardboard. He was Korean, spoke little english, and was a good mechanic. I learned a great deal about coaches from Kim.

From that point one, I called cardboard "KOREAN CREEPERS"

#11 ·
I have a what I think is called a stone creeper. instead of casters the underside has a Teflon type sheet that slides relatively easy on stones and dirt. not quite as thin as cardboard does have a cushion for your head.
Can you post a picture of it? Sounds cool.

I actually have a place I store any large boxes I have broken down for future creeper or small part paint duty. :)

John

#14 ·
I have some anti fatigue mats that I use for that purpose..mine are the ones with the interlocking feature if I need a larger one. Got mine from one of the local hdw stores quite a long time ago.. they make good knee pads as well..

Sam

#18 ·
#23 ·
I also have one of the old wooden creepers as shown in the top picture. Only difference is mine has a wood raised edge to keep from sliding off when you move. When I do use a creeper, it's the best I think. I've gotten a couple modern creepers as presents over the years, and always disliked them for either pinching my arms, or doing something I disliked. They always end up being given away to young guys who need a creeper.
What I use most often is some vinyl coated pads that came from RV's. Only a couple inches thick, and padded with dense foam. They work to lay on or kneel on, and I've grown fond of working off something soft that doesn't move when I try to tighten a bolt.

#25 ·
A piece of foam would be nice too. If you don't know where to get one, a yoga mat would be ideal.
The cardboard is good too, but at 56 I am seeing more and more why protecting our bodies over the years is so important, so I am thinking the mat is a good choice.

Yoga Mats & Bags : Sports & Outdoors - Walmart.com

Brian

#27 ·
I use both methods under any cars I have to go under. I have the foam interlocking mats and I have a creeper I love and Hate.

The creeper has excellent ball bearing casters and wheels. It has a steel tube frame. It is nicely padded and has an adjustable headrest.

The down side of the creeper is it is narrow and has raised sides and there are gaps between the side rails and the bottom of the creeper back. When you are on the creeper if you have any loose clothing it falls down under the wheels through the gaps on the side.

If you are like me (a bit more padded in the middle) the creeper is too narrow. I love the headrest and nice casters (6 of them) but the rest needs to be recycled. Oh it is a HF brand.

A side note here* I spend my time mostly in a wheelchair I am able to only walk a few steps. I have a bone disease from childhood. I get around in the shop with no problems with a few assists here and there. I hate to have to get on the floor for anything but I have found if you are like me, a bit limited in mobility it is a necessary to use a combination of both. If the work requires a lot of movement under the vehicle I use the creeper. If it requires working in one spot like changing out a starter I use the mats. :cool:

#29 ·
creepers

no luck in posting picture. the creeper I have is called a kauffmans stone sled. its made in duncannon pa. its about 5/16 th in thick and designed to be used in dirt. it works best in courser ground (stones) it has some kind of formica or Teflon material that it slides on. also has a padded headrest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.