Creepin' crud, in Carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Creepin' crud, in Carb

Got a carb in for overhaul.
Edelbrock, 1406. Looked OK from the outside, sed "sure, fifty bucks plus th' kit".
I open it up, and CHEEZ-O-PETE!! What in the world izzat stuff!!?
Both float bowls are cram-packed with some sort of rock hard, off tan colored stuff. It's stuck to everything inside.

I managed to "chisel" out most of it from the bowls, and it made quite a pile.

It has managed to stop up the passage from the jet to the secondary discharge. So I gotta drill out the plug on the side. But before I do that. Where can I get a new plug? I'd thought about just using a 00 lead shot.
But I wanna at least kinda do it right. And don't want any leaks.

Picture of the crap. Sorry 'bout th' focus. I'll try to get a better one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	64840  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

My first reaction was to blame it on the fuel we get from the pump these days. But that actually looks a lot like someone 'sugared' the fuel. Might not be actual sugar, but something was added to the fuel that left the deposits after the fuel evaporated.

Another thing it could be is the alky in the gas dissolved whatever there might have been in the tank and over time this became deposited in the carb.

Either way, I believe it would have taken several to many cycles of the carb being filled up w/the contaminated fuel then having the fuel evaporate after the vehicle sat unused for a period of time. Even heavily sugared gas will be used up w/o much trouble if the vehicle is run more or less continuously until the contaminated fuel is used up. It's when the carb goes dry that the deposits have a chance to really take hold.

What shape are the rubber fuel lines in if it has any? Soft, mushy?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If it is sugar, you could try boiling out the carb. It should dissolve the sugar. Try taking what you have removed and soak it in water, thinner etc until you find something that dissolves it. Then use that to soak the rest of the carb in.
That could just be residue from crappy gas that has built up. The picture is so fuzzy it is hard to tell.

Chet
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 AM

carb crud

It's probably from the ethanol in the gas that dried up. It gets as hard as cement. I've had to blast them to get it out, then carb cleaner.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
My first reaction was to blame it on the fuel we get from the pump these days. But that actually looks a lot like someone 'sugared' the fuel. Might not be actual sugar, but something was added to the fuel that left the deposits after the fuel evaporated.

Another thing it could be is the alky in the gas dissolved whatever there might have been in the tank and over time this became deposited in the carb.

Either way, I believe it would have taken several to many cycles of the carb being filled up w/the contaminated fuel then having the fuel evaporate after the vehicle sat unused for a period of time. Even heavily sugared gas will be used up w/o much trouble if the vehicle is run more or less continuously until the contaminated fuel is used up. It's when the carb goes dry that the deposits have a chance to really take hold.

What shape are the rubber fuel lines in if it has any? Soft, mushy?
I'm thinking that it may have been "sugared", but as yet I've not found a solvent to disolve it. But I haven't tried them all yet.
As to the rubber stuff. The carb came to me without the hoses attached, and I haven't seen the car.
I called the guy and asked him what he'd put in it. and he told me that he'd used nothing but gas in the car. But he pulled the carb about a year ago, put it into a freezer bag, and set it on the shelf. Apparently freezer bags are not air tight.
I'll keep ya'll posted, and try to get a better pic of the crud.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Well, I've tried every solvent that I could think of, to no avail.
I fired up my cajun cooker, added a couple gallons of water, dropped it in, brought it to a rolling boil, then let it simmer for a while.
Added some tabasco, (for flavor) 'cause if this don't work, I'll haffta eat it.

After cookin' it for a couple hours, (forgot about it), I checked and it was still stopped up. With the help of a little compressed air, a gob of goo shot outta th' jet feeding the left secondary, and hit me in the eye (wearin' glasses). Cool!!
blew out the other passages and it's clean as a pin.
Must have been sugar, or something water soluable.
Here's a better pic of the stuff in solid form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb 002 [800x600].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	64884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb 004 [800x600].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	64885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb 005 [800x600].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	64886  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.