Is this a crime?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Pessimist=Optimistw/Experience

Last journal entry: Back to the Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this a crime??

Here is the deal. I have a 62 Impala SS that I am in the process of restoring, at the moment I have the interior out and am repairing the floor pans cleaning up rust etc. So I have been thinking on what the interior will be like when I get done. I have the seat fabric and vinyl picked out. It is a black vinyl and a fabric that has a color a lot like brushed aluminum, with some black flakes in it so it ties in with the black vinyl. I am not going to do the interior like the original car had it will be custom.

So here is the real Question. I have all the original chrome interior pieces and I was thinking that since the interior is going to have a brushed aluminum sort of color why not paint the chrome pieces to match? Is this a sin in the hotrod bible? I know some that might think so but I am not planning on getting rid of the car it was my inheritance from my dad and has some sentimental value that I will not get rid of. So I have not seen this done well maybe I have and not recognized it for what it was. Or would it be better to wrap the chrome in the black vinyl and call it good.

So what is the best way to go about painting chrome as well. I know that there needs to be some prep work done on the chrome so that the adhesion is good between the chrome and the paint. So any thoughts would be great and I will post some pictures of the floor pans soon in my photo gallery so that you all can see the hack job the owner before my dad did to the car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

No sins in the Hot Rod bible that I know of..atleast in the style dept..Now if the brakes don't work.. or the engine is not good..

As far as painting chrome..take it to a chrome shop and have it stripped and then the paint will stick..

OMT
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I believe that is a felony to an anal restorer.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

It is ONLY a crime if you dont consider trying to find a set of trim that screams to be painted (parts with poor chrome on them already) and turn around a better set back into the restorer/rodder pool. If your parts arent good enough to use without replating than by all means do the NASTY to them. That is by no means a crime
Old 08-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Pessimist=Optimistw/Experience

Last journal entry: Back to the Project
Last photo:

Good point I will have to evaluate the chrome. I know that some of them have pits and rust, the car was not well taken care of. Now the original seats that I just bought have nice chrome on them with one little dent so that I was thinking of leaving alone. At this point I have some misc pieces of chrome that were in my trunk so I may do some test pieces and see if I like the effect before doing all my interior chrome. If it works out I may send my chrome back into market for restorers to use.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

Personally, if the chrome is good, I'd either try to cover them in a fashion that wouldn't damage them, or get a ratty but useable set on ebay and use those. Can't be that hard to find - maybe other GM brands used the same parts - I believe there is a lot of similarity between Chevy and Pontiac in '61 and '62 - maybe other Gm lines too.

Tastes change over the years. It would be a shame if you ended up kicking yourself 10 years from now because you wanted to go back chrome and had ruined them irrepairably - its going to be that much harder in 10 years to replace them.

That said, its your car and your money. Give it some thought, but then do what you think is best.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.