Critique My Frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Critique My Frame...PICS INCLUDED.....

I finally got some work done on my StreetRod frame. I made my own C-notches and box plates, boxed and notched the frame, cut approx. 6.5" out of the center of both factory crossmembers, hand fabricated the driveshaft loops (that was tricky) and cut and welded in all the 1 1/2" schedule 80 (double wall thickness) reinforcing pipe. When boxing the frame I put steel tube "bushings" between the plate and existing frame and bolted them in sqeezing the bushing between the plate and frame to minimize flexing. Not sure if it would but just want a bulletproof frame. I still have to weld on brackets for the 4-link and panhard bar. The front of the frame is not yet boxed because I haven't decided what front axle I'm going with yet. The square tubing I used for the loops was made from 8 separate pieces and was hard to fit because I had to make it a certain height and width but if you cut too much/too little angel of any piece you change the height and width, so that took a while (it took me 1 whole day for each loop) but then I'm kind of picky. So I would like some opinions/constructive criticism on the set-up of the frame, is it strong enough for a big block, will it withstand some tweaking. I don't plan on getting rough on it but don't want it to crack or bend if I try to spin a tire. P.S., The white stuff on the frame is where I put some polyester glazing putty to cover up some grind scratches and make everything look smoother.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-048S.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	8298   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-049S.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	8299   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-050S.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	8300  

Advertisement

Last edited by STATUTORY GRAPE; 12-12-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:

that looks really good !!! i may be followiing your foot steps here soon.....when you did the interior cross bracing did you beef up the inside of the boxed frame where the tubing is welded to the "interior new side of the frame"? I can't imgine the center part of your frame twisting with that set up.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

The original engineers will be envious for sure. Stupid bean counters
Old 12-13-2005, 04:51 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, I beefed it up a bit. If you look in the first pic, you can see the bolt heads on the outside of the frame. Notice everywhere the tubing meets the frame, I beefed it up by bolting a steel bushing between both sides of the frame wall, that way if it trys to flex it will have to move both walls of the frame. That should help strengthen my welds in those areas also. Then,,I put the piping right over the bolt head on the inside of the frame and welded the piping to the frame, that way it still looks somewhat smooth on the inside and you can't see those ugly bolts sticking out of my inside frame rail
Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 AM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
Yeah, I beefed it up a bit. If you look in the first pic, you can see the bolt heads on the outside of the frame. Notice everywhere the tubing meets the frame, I beefed it up by bolting a steel bushing between both sides of the frame wall, that way if it trys to flex it will have to move both walls of the frame. That should help strengthen my welds in those areas also. Then,,I put the piping right over the bolt head on the inside of the frame and welded the piping to the frame, that way it still looks somewhat smooth on the inside and you can't see those ugly bolts sticking out of my inside frame rail

i like that idea, what did you do for the bushing? just piping or tubing cut to size? and then when you cinched the bolt down it compressed the two sides together....did you cinch it down before or after you welded the plates for boxing the frame...how many feet of tubing did you wind up buying for this and where did you get it. thanks bob
Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Actually, it was an idea that I thought of after the frame was boxed. I did it because of the distance between crossmembers and I was afraid the center of the plate would flex with all the tubing welded to it possibly making my box plate welds weak. I drilled a hole in the frame and a hole in the box plate. The one in the frame had to be slightly bigger so I could slide the bushing in between, then simply put a washer on the outside bolt head to compensate for the larger hole (otherwise the bolt would just bottom out on the bushing). For the bolts I wanted something strong so I used grade 5 bolts approx. the size of your index finger, and found some steel tubing the same size. The only tubing I could find around the shop for bushings was slightly smaller than the bolt so I cut the tubing to length (magically transforming it from tubing into bushing ) then I put the bushing into the vise and drilled it out slightly bigger until it snugly fit over the bolt. I wanted it to fit the bolt as tight as possible for maximum strength. Then just tightened the bolt pulling both side plates together. For total length for bushings I didn't even use a foot They were only about 2" or 2 1/2" long ( just enough to fit between the plates)
Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 AM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

thanks. sorry for my poorly worded question what i meant was how many feet of tubing did you wind up using to box the frame? and where did you get it thanks bob
Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

I don't remember exactly how many feet I got. I think they were all 3' lengths and I cut them to fit. What I did was used 1" plastic (pvc) pipe to mock the whole thing up. That way if I didn't like how it looked or needed to make a change it was as simple as cutting plastic pipe with a hacksaw . The pipe I used was NOT cut to fit but was kind of a bear TO cut to fit. I have a nephew that works at a large steel warehouse, he can get me ANYTHING and I do mean ANYTHING. I can get steel of any shape and size. I don't remember the cost either, I got it a couple of years ago.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
What I did was used 1" plastic (pvc) pipe to mock the whole thing up. That way if I didn't like how it looked or needed to make a change it was as simple as cutting plastic pipe with a hacksaw
That is a truly awesome idea SG.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

Quote:
..... What I did was used 1" plastic (pvc) pipe to mock the whole thing up. That way if I didn't like how it looked or needed to make a change it was as simple as cutting plastic pipe with a hacksaw .....
great idea i will definitely use that tip.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

They say that the triangle is the strongest shape, at least in architecture.

So...

I think it's good.

But I don't know much regarding frame/chassis design.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Quote:
... and cut and welded in all the 1 1/2" schedule 80 (double wall thickness) reinforcing pipe. ...
My only thought would be that pipe wouldn't be the best choice, as it's not made for the same stresses as tube is. But i would imagine with that thickness it's going to be pretty strong even if it's not ment for that purpose.

Looks like it will be quite solid
Old 12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
They say that the triangle is the strongest shape, at least in architecture.

So...

I think it's good.

But I don't know much regarding frame/chassis design.
Isnt a dome in architecture the strongest shape?

Looking great SG, what body is going on it?

Mike
Old 12-14-2005, 07:40 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Isnt a dome in architecture the strongest shape?

Mike
no its not...depends where the load is coming from..... a dome is ok for pressure coming down on it....but if the force comes from the side its all over....the triangle is really quite a good shape for stresses.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

It's going to be a '50's pickup. So far I've chopped the top 5 1/2" ,chopped the doors and suicided the doors , It really is time consuming but I keep picturing the end result in my head and it gives me faith. It's going to be a Pro Street when I'm done. I'm not going to actually race it, I just like the look. I'll try to post some pics of the truck Thursday A.M. so everybody check back here.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.