Hot Rod Forum banner

crome

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  babe_n_indy 
#1 ·
what is the best way to bring back the polish to the trim and my bumpers on my truck it is a 78 chevy short box

#5 ·
If it has those little dark pinhead sized 'warts' on it, use Dupont #7 polishing compound then Mothers mag/chrome polish. Those warts are rust welling up through microscopic pores in the chrome and the aggressive #7 will take them totally off. Mothers should restore the shine. Finally, I maintain all my chrome with good old liquid Turtle Wax. It has solvents and mild abrasives that clean the metal and of course the wax to protect it.

#6 ·
for small stuff (interior and emblems) We have a bench grinder set up with buffer wheels and fine grit wax sticks. If there is any plastic knobs you have to be careful cause it will melt those pretty quick if those touch but otherwise it works great. I have done lots of stuff and it all looks new. I even took new chrome parts straight out of the box from chevy duty and lmc and put their stuff on the wheels and they came out better!

#10 ·
cboy said:
Speaking of chrome I was recently told to stay away from chroming ANYTHING on the car because the chrome shops have had to alter their process and formula so radically due to hazardous materials that chrome is no longer able to hold up to common wear and tear. Any truth to that?
I've had lots of pieces chromed over the years. I am sure that over the years, the process and formulas have changed due to materials, compounds and chemicals that are used in the chroming process. However, I do not believe that with the new technology we possess in this world today, that chrome is no longer able to hold up to common wear and tear. I think that is false and a myth. From my experience and with the recent chroming I've had done, my chrome is holding up just fine.

Anyone else with any thoughts on this issue?

#11 ·
I use good old Windex window cleaner on my chromed out Harley Davidson. Some good old MC guys mentioned that wax and other polishes fill in the tiny poriouses (unseen with the eye)
an after awhile would dull the chrome. Windex works fine for me. It's easy cleaning, spray and wipe dry, no streaking. Give it a try.

#12 ·
Rockey said:
I use good old Windex window cleaner on my chromed out Harley Davidson. Some good old MC guys mentioned that wax and other polishes fill in the tiny poriouses (unseen with the eye)
an after awhile would dull the chrome. Windex works fine for me. It's easy cleaning, spray and wipe dry, no streaking. Give it a try.
:pimp:

So your're a Harley Dude? :p And, I am a Harley Gal! Love to feel the wind on my face and my hair being blown. Here's a Harley shake for you as we're passing by each other:

:thumbup:

I used to use Windex on my Harley, on the windshield and chrome. But found that when I was tooling down the highway, bugs were sticking to my windshield and anywhere else they could splatter themselves. So, I tried Motorcycle Show Gloss Creme on my Harley and now I don't have any bugs or dirt or grime that stick to any part of my Harley. I don't get any streaking either and its great for my paint and chrome!

#14 ·
I have hear the same as Rocky, that car wax isn't a good thing for chrome as it blocks microscopic pores that chrome needs to "breathe". I have used/tried all of the above I think. On my Harley I had to do a lot of work since the previous owner didn't care what it looked like as long as it ran. THe aluminum on the bike was in pretty sad shape. I bought some "Blue Magic" and made the cast stuff shine like chrome, and on chrome it takes a lot of the abuse out except for rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.