Cross border shipping costs for north of the border? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cross border shipping costs for north of the border?

I'm thinking about buying from Eastwood and thier method of shipping to Canada is via. Purolator for Haz goods (Paint). I believe their usual is by USPS which is supposedly a breeze for cross border. I know UPS is horrible with thier brokerage fees - wondering if anyone has had good results with Purolator? The Eastwood site does not calculate the brokerage costs that I could see

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
I can't believe what a hassle it is and how much more it costs to ship to our brother in the north. I ship often and it's easier to ship to Japan or Italy than Canada, that doesn't make sense to me.

Brian
Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 PM
1927 Vette

I too would like to get cheaper shipping to Canada, but in the meantime...
Do a Google search with the phrase Eastwood distributors and one of the top results will be a Canadian distributor in Essex, Ontario that advertises that
they charge the US price plus the exchange rate (and presumably shipping from them to you). I have not tried the Canadian distributor myself.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Many US companies offer free freight if within the lower 48

If there is such a thing in your area you can always ship to a state side holding depot close to the border. Usually ran by a small business owner. Just drive across and pick up your package. You will need to pay duty and GST on the way back. Dependant on how long you stay you can get away with duty in some cases if the product value is low enough as compared to the length of time you stayed in the US. Canada customs just increased the exemption amount so that helps.

For Saskatchewan it is B&B hardware in Newnan ND. 7 miles out of the Estevan North Portal crossing.

Here is a tip, if you are buying any hobby supplies that classify as "toys" there is no duty charged. I just had a huge gas model boat shipped from Florida to ND, I had a bunch of spare parts shipped with, turns out they classified the whole lot as toys so I saved a bunch, just made the two hour cross border drive myself.

Hotrods are toys are they not?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I've heard rumors that Agricultural Parts are exempt from duty.

Yessir ... Going to install that shiny new BDS 8-71 blower on my Massey combine!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Good thinking man!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Ok, I found my answer and no thanks to Purolator who gave me a run around

USPS is definately the cheapest on brokerage fees. Purolator is min $5 or 3% the value of the duty. Would have been nice if they were forthright is offering this info up front! I found my info here;
Shipping |

Here's a handy links for Canucks orderering from US suppliers and shipping costs.
TheFinalCost.com - Canadian total shipping fees calculator (brokerage, duty, customs)
Old 07-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

I thought the USA had a free trade agreement with Canada and Mexico (NAFTA). Does that only apply to shipments entering the US?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM

PurolatorHelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead forever View Post
Ok, I found my answer and no thanks to Purolator who gave me a run around

USPS is definately the cheapest on brokerage fees. Purolator is min $5 or 3% the value of the duty. Would have been nice if they were forthright is offering this info up front! I found my info here;
Shipping |

Here's a handy links for Canucks orderering from US suppliers and shipping costs.
TheFinalCost.com - Canadian total shipping fees calculator (brokerage, duty, customs)
Hello Gearhead,

I'm very sorry if we disappointed you. Please feel free to contact us directly at customer.care@purolator.com if you have any questions on our services. We'll be happy to give you more details.

Best regards,

Catherine Côté
Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team
Purolator Inc.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurolatorHelp View Post
Hello Gearhead,

I'm very sorry if we disappointed you. Please feel free to contact us directly at customer.care@purolator.com if you have any questions on our services. We'll be happy to give you more details.

Best regards,

Catherine Côté
Purolator Inc.
Thank you, I did talk to no less than three people at purolator. The last one suggested that I contact Canadian Customs as they (or that person - the purolator employee) could not give me an estimate on the extra costs. Purolator needs to do a bit of work in this area in my opinion - but again, thank you...and a little surprised to see a comment from "purolator help" on this forum....
Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
I thought the USA had a free trade agreement with Canada and Mexico (NAFTA). Does that only apply to shipments entering the US?
I don't know a whole lot about NAFTA to be honest, or who really garners any benefits from it.

With that being said however ...
I plugged some numbers int that Final Cost calculator, then selected / deselected the "Made in USA" checkbox.

Price: 350.00
Shipping: 100.00
Made in USA: (no)
Shipping Company: UPS
Province: Alberta
================
Final Price: $563.06
================
The FEES box shows Duty: $21.00

Changing only the
Made in USA: (yes)
The Duty goes to $0.00
and the
================
Final Price: $540.80
================

Clicking on the [?] next to Duty...

Quote:
This is the dollar amount of duty
that you will have to pay to the
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
It is calculated based on the country
of origin of the item, the value of
the item and the nature of the item.
If the item was made in the USA,
there is no duty (thank you NAFTA!).
Otherwise, it is generally 6%.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Ups or not.

I never use Ups, way to expensive, always have everything shipped mail/ground not air and less than half the cost, usually have to argue and force most places because Ups is easier for them, works well though. I live in Northern Sask.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSST View Post
I too would like to get cheaper shipping to Canada, but in the meantime...
Do a Google search with the phrase Eastwood distributors and one of the top results will be a Canadian distributor in Essex, Ontario that advertises that
they charge the US price plus the exchange rate (and presumably shipping from them to you). I have not tried the Canadian distributor myself.
I did try Early Birds, but they quit carrying Eastwood for some reason. I didnt call the others as they arent local to me
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 PM

PurolatorHelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead forever View Post
Thank you, I did talk to no less than three people at purolator. The last one suggested that I contact Canadian Customs as they (or that person - the purolator employee) could not give me an estimate on the extra costs. Purolator needs to do a bit of work in this area in my opinion - but again, thank you...and a little surprised to see a comment from "purolator help" on this forum....
Hi Gearhead,

I will definitely forward your concern in regards to extra costs, customer's feedback is always very much appreciated.

We're trying to make it as easy as possible for our customers to get the assistance they deserve by being present on social medias.

Have a great evening!

Catherine Côté
Purolator Inc.
Follow us on Twitter
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

As a person with a small business that ships world wide shipping costs are always a big problem. There isn't a cheap way to do it. All of our out of country product ship through the USPS. It's the least expensive of all. Saying that once your package enters the target country you are on your own no matter if it was insured or not. The U.S. Postal System tells you that your package arrived in the country you mailed it to but once it enters the destination countries postal system it ain't their problem. As far as entry costs and taxes are concerned the shipper has no way of obtaining that information. You can't go to the Post Office, UPS, Fed Ex or any other shipping company and find out this information. They don't know either. Fees are levied by the destination country, not the company that shipped it. If you want to know what fees and or taxes you will occure then you have to contact your countries custom department and ask them. Canada is no harder to ship to than any other country, but what they are going to charge you or what the exchange rate is the day that the Canadian customs processes the package your waiting for is a mystery to the shipper. Purolator didn't do anything wrong. Shipping costs suck! For a small company now-a-days shipping costs can be a deal breaker. Did I mention that shipping costs suck?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.