Hot Rod Forum banner

Crower Cams owner makes six-stroke engine

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Blazin72 
#1 ·
Using a modified single-cylinder diesel engine Crower converted it to use gasoline, then machined the necessary parts to create the worlds only six-stroke engine. The engine works through harnessing wasted heat energy created by the fuel combustion to add another two-strokes to the engine cycle. After the combustion stage water is injected into the super heated cylinder and steam forms forcing the piston back down and in turn cools the engine. The result is normal levels of power using much less fuel and no need for an external cooling system.
More info: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE

#13 ·
Rhansen said:
Interesting, too bad it won't work well with a carbed setup.
Wonder if you could get a similar effect with hydrous alchohol (put vodka in a 4 stroke?)
Would work with a carb. The water (as I understand the artical) is injected after the gasoline power stroke. So you could have a carb and a seperate injecter for the water. Wouldnt be prctical but possible I think. How would the strokes go ?
1-Intake
2-Compression
3-Power
4-compression
5-Power
6-Exhaust
??

#16 ·
Rhansen said:
It seems to me that as long as the motor is running you would be drawing fuel thru the carb, would defeat the fuel savings. F.I. would be more efficient.
I'd have to imagine that the specially ground cam would keep the intake valve closed during the water/steam part of the cycle. I think the article said something about the cam running at only 1/3 speed instead of 1/2 speed.

#17 ·
Rhansen said:
It seems to me that as long as the motor is running you would be drawing fuel thru the carb, would defeat the fuel savings. F.I. would be more efficient.
Timed port injection would be best for a gasoline version of the engine. However, a carb would be set to provide fuel only for the gas powered power stroke. So, for x-amount of fuel, you would get three engine revolutions instead of only two.

As far as practicality goes, the only thing I see as a problem is the freezing temperature problem.

#21 ·
Dang them old guys have lots of time to think! I can't wait to see how this one plays out. It's kinda funny everybody expects the big boys to come up with the solutions and it's some guy tinkering in his back room shop who comes up with the answer.
I remember reading about some guy who was running waste oil through his engine he had some sort of preheater that heated it then he ran it through the carb and the smoke came out white. Of course the local authorities made him dismantle it because he wasn't paying road tax

#24 ·
Imagine what this COULD turn into if it were to get into the right backers and full time engineering.

The story stated he was still tinkering and making changes here and there.

I would say the reason he started out with gasoline is that there is less heat generated by it's combustion process than that of diesel, and he would have a better chance of keeping the engine together longer in case something catastrophic were to happen. The higher combustion pressures of the diesel fuel would possibly allow for a more decreased fuel consumption but require more water for the steam generation stroke.

Carburetion was used for it's simplicity, but there was talk of using injection to refine the process for even more effenciency.

Interesting article, and I hope this goes somewhere and becomes a production that works.

As far as the freezing of the water and rendering that part of it inoperable, this sounds more like a warm climate engine.

#26 ·
killerformula said:
uh, isn't the whole point that the motor burns less fuel? I know its hard to breate when you boil noodles, but most of us manage...

K :rolleyes:
bwaaaahahahaha ... lol, thats great... maybe thats the problem in LA... to many people makin noodles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.