cruise control? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cruise control?

I know I am not the only one to have this problem SO what is wrong when your cruise control works fine EXCEPT the brake don't cut it of like it is supposed to . Yes I DID run the hot wire to the hot side of the brake switch and the ground to the wire that had no fire until I pushed the peddle I did all the self test on the thing and the light blinked just like the dir. said. well the up side is I was on a back road and tried it BEFORE I needed to stop so I just cut it of OH when I said it worked fine I DO mean all the others thangs are working,set,coast,resume ETC.

thanks OLDROD

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Well assuming the brake light switch is correctly adjusted so the circuit is complete with light pedal pressure it sounds like it might be an issue with the control unit. Have you called the tech line?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

X2 on calling the tech support line. If you are 200% sure that everything is wired correctly, you might as well figure on sending the unit back for a warranty exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
....Yes I DID run the hot wire to the hot side of the brake switch and the ground to the wire that had no fire until I pushed the peddle....
When you say 'ground' you mean 'brake cold' right?

Are we talking about a Rostra Global Cruise?

The function of the 'brake cold' wire is to provide a path to ground (through the brake lamp filaments) for the electromagnet in the servo that 'picks up' the throttle cable. The theory is that when you step on the brakes and engage the brake lamps, the path to ground for the 'brake cold' wire disappears, which causes the electromagnet to release the throttle cable. This is supposed to be a fail-safe system that works even if the electronics go haywire.

If you are totally sure about your wiring, you might want to double check that the factory didn't cross-up some wires in the pre-wired plugs - not likely, but possible.

I've installed dozens of these universal cruise control systems and haven't seen this particular problem yet. Guess you're just lucky..

Hope this helps....
Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
X2 on calling the tech support line. If you are 200% sure that everything is wired correctly, you might as well figure on sending the unit back for a warranty exchange.

When you say 'ground' you mean 'brake cold' right?

Are we talking about a Rostra Global Cruise?

The function of the 'brake cold' wire is to provide a path to ground (through the brake lamp filaments) for the electromagnet in the servo that 'picks up' the throttle cable. The theory is that when you step on the brakes and engage the brake lamps, the path to ground for the 'brake cold' wire disappears, which causes the electromagnet to release the throttle cable. This is supposed to be a fail-safe system that works even if the electronics go haywire.

If you are totally sure about your wiring, you might want to double check that the factory didn't cross-up some wires in the pre-wired plugs - not likely, but possible.

I've installed dozens of these universal cruise control systems and haven't seen this particular problem yet. Guess you're just lucky..

Hope this helps....
YES,YES AND YES I guess if some company makes a bad unit i'll get it . I will check every thing one more time and IF I get my sign one more time I will call tech. Oh you have installed several I don't suppose a dip switch would cause the problem?

OLDROD

PS will it even work if wired backward?

Last edited by 39 OLDROD; 07-21-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
....I don't suppose a dip switch would cause the problem?
Unfortunately, DIP switch settings can't cause the problem you are having.

Quote:
PS will it even work if wired backward?
I had one that had the tach wire and the vss wire reversed in the main servo plug - when you hit 'set' it would either not respond at all, or take off like a Toyota.

In your case, I was thinking that the cruise may work with the ground and the brake cold wires reversed, until you hit the brake, then it might freeze but not release. Probably not likely though.

Good luck....
Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I once had this happen with the Audiovox (Rostra type) unit in my '32. Scared the bejezus out of me. Turned out it was a loose connection at the brake switch itself...had those slip on type bullet connectors. Sounds like you have already tested this but just to make sure, put a meter on your brake switch and make sure it is operating up to snuff and that full current is flowing (or not flowing) at the proper times when you depress the pedal.

Are the brake lights working when you hit the pedal?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I once had this happen with the Audiovox (Rostra type) unit in my '32. Scared the bejezus out of me. Turned out it was a loose connection at the brake switch itself...had those slip on type bullet connectors. Sounds like you have already tested this but just to make sure, put a meter on your brake switch and make sure it is operating up to snuff and that full current is flowing (or not flowing) at the proper times when you depress the pedal.

Are the brake lights working when you hit the pedal?
It was the last I CHECKED and yea I KIND OF KNOW that feeling I had 12 volts on the cold side the last time I checked. I did call tech late this afternoon and did't get the sharpest tack in the box SO I'LL check once more just as soon as it cools of a bit . hot as blazes here rite now and I had several customers today so did't even think about going back in the shop as it was about 120 with the BIG BOX FAN ON.

OLDROD
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
Unfortunately, DIP switch settings can't cause the problem you are having.

I had one that had the tach wire and the vss wire reversed in the main servo plug - when you hit 'set' it would either not respond at all, or take off like a Toyota.

In your case, I was thinking that the cruise may work with the ground and the brake cold wires reversed, until you hit the brake, then it might freeze but not release. Probably not likely though.

Good luck....
Felt more like it speeded up when I HIT THE BRAKE probably my imagination sure as heck did't slow down. to hot here to mess with the thing today. Oh yea I did call tech a waist of time all he knew was to read the book heck I had all ready done that nothing about my problem and he did't have a clue.
I'LL check the wires to make sure my brother did't do that as he like to run the crimpers and has a little color problem.
OLDROD
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If you have LED brake lights and either don't have a resistor or that goofy relay arrangement they show you on the bottom of the first page of the IB, the cruise wont shut off when you apply the brakes.

Dave W
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
If you have LED brake lights and either don't have a resistor or that goofy relay arrangement they show you on the bottom of the first page of the IB, the cruise wont shut off when you apply the brakes.

Dave W
Dave I don't think the lights are LED as we did try a set of LED tail lights on my brothers 33 VICKY and they did not burn at all. They (mine)work fine on brake,turn and park. With my luck the unit will be bad. I think I get all the junk stuff Oh are you doing any cruising?now that you are legit.

OLDROD
Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Dave I don't think the lights are LED as we did try a set of LED tail lights on my brothers 33 VICKY and they did not burn at all. They (mine)work fine on brake,turn and park. With my luck the unit will be bad. I think I get all the junk stuff Oh are you doing any cruising?now that you are legit.

OLDROD
OK - it was a shot at something you might have overlooked.

I've gone out for a few rides but right now it's jacked up in my shop getting a few 'punch list' things done to it, plus we've been away. And the heat and high humidity here has been outta sight

Dave W
Old 07-23-2010, 06:57 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
From my limited experience, LEDs cause just the opposite problem. The cruise control will not stay engaged when you set it. My understanding is the cruise is dependent on the resistance of the brake light bulbs in order to engage...and there is almost no resistance in an LED.

At least that is what happened when I switched my '32 over to LEDs and my Audiovox stopped working. As soon as I hooked a couple incandescent bulbs into the wiring (and hid them up under the frame), everything worked fine again.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
From my limited experience, LEDs cause just the opposite problem. The cruise control will not stay engaged when you set it. My understanding is the cruise is dependent on the resistance of the brake light bulbs in order to engage...and there is almost no resistance in an LED.

At least that is what happened when I switched my '32 over to LEDs and my Audiovox stopped working. As soon as I hooked a couple incandescent bulbs into the wiring (and hid them up under the frame), everything worked fine again.
That's not the way the aftermarket Rostra (Dakta Digita/Flaming River are Rostra) works.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

That's been my experience as well, except that instead of wiring in incandescent bulbs, I wired in a relay (per Rostra's instructions) that grounds the 'brake cold' wire unless the brake lights are activated. The 'brake cold' wire needs a low resistance path to ground to engage, such as a brake lamp would provide, but LEDs can't.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's not the way the aftermarket Rostra (Dakta Digita/Flaming River are Rostra) works.
My cruise control is a DAKOTA DIGITAL and like I said in a earlier post EVERY thing worked but the cut of when I taped the brake peddle and like Dave said IT IS HOT as blazes here with humidly in the 75 to 80 range SO I HAVE keep my self up in the show room or office this week all but for one cruise to town and back. Maby it's cool of a little next week but if someone comes up with a idea just let me know. at lest the of button works

OLDROD
The Following User Says Thank You to 39 OLDROD For This Useful Post:
bb bootlegger (07-12-2013)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.