Cruise night - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cruise night

I took the sedan to a local cruise night - pretty big crowd - about 400 cars! All 1979 and older. Lots of cool cars, some mild, some wild. Lots of Mustangs, Tri-fives, Mopar muscle, and Camaro/Chevelles. Parked behind me was a big orange Willys gasser! I talked to the owner/builder, neat old guy (older than me at least). He pulled out his build book, showing the rusted out, beat all to heck, mostly missing hulk he started with, bought some time back for $200. The roof was partially missing, what was there was all beat in. The pictures showed he hammered it all out, pieced in what was missing (some from a sedan donor he cut up) - brought it back! His floor was mostly missing - cut the floor out of the donor and pieced it in. Cowl came from the donor. He built a stout Caddy engine with some one-off roller rockers. He added a one piece tilt fiberglass front end, and rear fenders. He said it runs in the low 12s, with one run breaking into the 11s. He obviously enjoys the heck out of driving it around town "I always wanted a Willys, so I built this one to look like they did when I was young. Always seemed special to me". He still takes it to the drags and thrashes it. Meeting him and seeing what he did with that Willys made my evening!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I'm glad to hear that you're out and about with the new ride. I hope you didn't have any more mishaps.

You'll have to let us know what your new plan is for the future after you've driven the Sedan for a while.

Do you have another build in mind or is it too soon to think about it ?

454 RATTLER
Old 04-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I love hearing story's like that Bob, the guy that knew how, just didn't have the time or whatever and finally built what he wanted for years. That's awesome and running high 11's, fantastic.

That's what I love about male menopause...we can get or build what we want, we don't get hot flashes or moody and it can last until we die.

Ray
Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

No mishaps with the sedan - good ride to and from the cruise, and even found a good spot when I got there. They open the gates at 4pm, and by 4:45 probably 95% of the cars were there. They always sold hamburgers, hot dogs and soda, but expanded this year to include bratwurst, chili, and kettle corn, and all reasonably priced.
I plan to attend as many of the local cruises as possible, there's one or more almost every weekend, and include a few out-of-town shows. The Frog Follies is definitely on my list, maybe the Springfield, Mo NSRA show in May, and the Early Tin Dusters Fall Color Run in Quincy, Illinois. Don't know yet if I'll make it to the NSRA Nats in Louisville, Ky. No plans to build another rod... yet.

Ray, the guy told me he worked on that body for 5 years! He also told me he's had 5 heart attacks! I could kick myself for not taking any pictures. If he's there next month, I'll be sure to.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That would be great Bob, I'd love to see pictures...Wow 5 heart attacks...he's got menopause much worse than I do.

Ray

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.