Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Crusin music
Thread: Crusin music
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 08:20 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My '32 has a CD player but it must be broken because it will only play songs recorded between 1950 and 1965!!!!

About 5-6 years ago I started a project to find and digitally record EVERY ONE of my favorite Oldies from the days when I grew up. Many of them I couldn't even remember the titles...all I could do was hum a couple bars and remember a lyric here and there. I had to use a lot of library and book store resource books and a lot of "collector" sites on the web to track them all down.

In the end I came up with 164 songs...164 of my own personal favorites. Then the problem was to actually find recordings of them all and transfer those recordings to one super collection. Some I already had on tape or old LP's but my attempts to record them into a digital format and maintain any sort of quality were pretty dismal. So I set out locating and buying as many of the tunes as I could find on Oldies collections. This netted me about 130 of the songs I wanted. But the final 30 or so I simply could not find...or else I could only find them on collections where I already had all the other tunes on the collection...so I was paying $10-$15 just to get one single song.

And it was at that point that my two kids introduced me to Kazza...in the days before the big crack down on file sharing. And while I am not proud of the fact I had to get the songs that way, it did work and I WAS able to find the last few songs for my collection. Today I could do it legally using iTunes or one of the other "pay" sites, but back when I was doing my collection, the pay sites were not even available.

So anyhow, whenever I cruise in the '32 now, "Cboy's Best 164 Songs of All Time" is what is on the player.