CS Alt/sense wire/batt in trunk w accessories - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

CS Alt/sense wire/batt in trunk w accessories

Hello all. Trying to decide about where to run alt sense wire. The battery is in the trunk and the distribution block is up front under the dash. A 4 awg cable connects the block to the battery (thru a cutoff switch). The block distributes to the fuse block and rest of car. However, an EFI ECU and MSD go direct to the battery, and possibly an air ride system later on. Possible solutions are:

To the battery (hot side of switch) -
Pros - full voltage at battery for battery, ECU, MSD and anything running off the battery.
Cons - long wire run (12 awg) & possible voltage drop at sense wire?, maybe too many volts at block up front as alt compensates at rear of car?

To the block -
Pros - Full voltage at block and everything up front
Cons - possible voltage drop at battery combined with drain on battery from ECU, MSD etc running directly off of it?

Jumper to alt 'BAT' terminal -
Pros - easy & no wire run to deal with
Cons - no alt compensation

Any experience or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

block

My choice is the fuse block because the alternator powers the loads and maintains battery voltage. The load on the #4 wire running to the battery is only battery maintain current whereas the larger loads are at the fuse block.
This assumes that the battery is in good condition.
FYI- The alt. sense wire has no load to speak of thus no voltage drop. It is only used as a reference for regulation of the alt. output.

vicrod
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

I spliced mine in at the battery 8 gauge wire via a 6 foot run of wire..... basiclly from the alt, over to the radiator support, started across the support then looped back to my 70 amp Maxi-fuse then to the pos post on the battery..... works very well for me. I tried to mimick GM's original wire length etc....
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

My first thought was also the distribution point/fuse block up front. My concern is maintaining the battery in the trunk when I have a fairly descent size load running directly off of it.

Not much of a voltage loss in a #4 cable though .....I presume a little resistance would keep the battery from charging too fast. This may have to be one of those things I'll have to figure out by experimentation.

Thanks for the replies.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.