Cubic inches - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2002, 04:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

If you can use it, I already have a 350 four bolt with about 9,000 miles on a $1200 complete rebuild. Bored .060 but the oil pump shaft broke and it needs a crank kit. I just replaced it with a stock used engine. Let me know.....

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: 2oldster ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2002, 10:27 PM

I gave this some thought , even though a large 327 crank will fit your block it would make much more sense to use a 350 crank . 327's ability to rev up quick was due partially to the shorter stroke but mostly to a lighter rotating mass . The later large journal 327 lost its ability to rev as fast due to the extra rotating mass it gained from a fatter crank and heavier rods . Your screwing away cubic inches by going to a shorter stroke . On pump gas today there is no replacement for displacement! Im not familiar with the crank number but if its a cast 327 crank which is very common in large journal 327's your not gaining much period as its rotating mass is the same as a 350 crank . If its a steel crank its superior to a cast crank but you still are giving up valuble cubic inches . If there is any noticable differance from boring an engine you will notice it more on a longer stroke as it gains more from the change in cylinder volume due to boring . The differance between a 327 and a 350 is wrist pin placement on the pistons and stroke on the crank . You cant use 350 pistons with a 327 crank and vice versa . the blocks are one and the same . The secret to engine building goes something like this . READ , REASEARCH,THINK , IGNORE EVERYONES BRAGGING! PLAN
Read about parts interchangeability and modification. Research parts availability and pricing , Dont listen to what everyone else suposedly did to their engine , worry about what you are going to do to yours . Plan by setting a goal to what you want it to do , set a budget . and finally ,, CLEAN ,CLEAN , and CLEAN some more , an engine is never to clean .
Old 05-29-2002, 08:44 AM

Hotrod, make sure the shop that's boring the block knows your using hyper-eutectic pistons. I believe they require a slightly larger clearance than regular pistons.The manufacturer should have that info with the pistons, just something to follow up with, don't want to see that baby bind up. Good luck, Joe
Old 05-29-2002, 08:58 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

Silvolites are dirt cheap from Summit. didn't even know they made'm 40 over. dont bore it 'less you have to: ridge on tops of bore or out of round, line bore rather than line hone mains, should be same price, get rotating *** . balanced:$150 =/-. stroke it if you can
Old 05-29-2002, 09:37 AM

I went to a 383ci from a 327 ( 350 block large journal crank) and I miss the quick rev. 327, the 383 makes more hp and torque but don't seem as quick. Also if I'm not mistaken there is a difference in 350 and 327 pistons, the wrist pin location is different.
Good Luck
Drifter
Old 05-29-2002, 09:24 PM

The 327 has a 3.25 inch stroke and the 350 has a 3.48 inch stroke, this is a 1/4 inch difference. Both however, use 5.7 inch rods. Don't try to use 350 pistons with the 327 crank! Because of the difference in stroke, The piston pin placement is higher on the 350 pistons. Example:If you use flat top 350 pistons with the 327 Crank, they will be almost 1/4 inch down from the deck height. Can you say LOW compression! I really like the 327 engines. they are really a quick winding, reliable engine. Also if your crank is a large journal 327, it is probably cast steel and not forged. All small journal 327's were forged cranks. The Cast Crank Large journal 327 from 68/69 should be fine to 6000 rpm.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:43 PM

[quote]Originally posted by HotRodS10:
<strong>I have a Chevy 350 block that has the stock bore. Would it be better to bore it .030 or .040? I'm thinking .030 would clean it up enough but would there be any benifit to going an extra .010? Would it actually produce enough power to be able to notice a differance?

Thanks, HRS10 </strong><hr></blockquote>

030 is fine ,you will never feel the difference ..good luck ..don't go radical on the cam ,or carb ..e-mail the various carb ,cam companys with all your info ,and they will advise you of the optimum set-up ,for your specific situation ..have fun ..jim prowse ..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.