Cubic inches - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2002, 06:25 AM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Cubic inches

I have a Chevy 350 block that has the stock bore. Would it be better to bore it .030 or .040? I'm thinking .030 would clean it up enough but would there be any benifit to going an extra .010? Would it actually produce enough power to be able to notice a differance?

Thanks, HRS10

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2002, 06:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:39 AM

Never bore more than you have to. You won't notice the 1 cubic inch or whatever it would be. Besides, you might want to do another rebuild and it's unsafe to go bigger than .040 over.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:58 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

HRS10,

One other thing to mention is that you don't really know how much to bore until you measure the taper of your cylinders. As previously mentioned, don't take out more than you need to.

JB
Old 05-26-2002, 12:31 PM

I have punched 350 blocks to 060 without worry but stay with the 30 there are more pistons available at that size, 40 is an oddball
Old 05-26-2002, 02:30 PM

since youre in the build stage you might want to consider making it a 383 stroker !you will notice quite a difference in hp then. jimm
Old 05-26-2002, 05:44 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Jimm....I considered building a 383, had the 400 crank and everything but decided against it because it seemed to be a little too pricey with all the machine work and all. I have a large journal 327 crank that I'm gonna put in a 4 bolt 350 block. I havent decided which pistons to go with yet but I'm in no hurry. Any suggestions on pistons? I'm gonna use hypereutectic but not sure about which name brand to go with....maybe thats another question I will post later after I get my block bored. Thanks for the input..HRS10
Old 05-27-2002, 07:01 PM

HRS10!!
I am looking at the same type of problem, what # crank are you using? What kind of rods?
Old 05-27-2002, 07:21 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Pappy...The cast number on my crank is 3911001. I was told the large journal 327 crank was only made in 1968 (havent followed up on that and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) but it will fit in a 350 block without having to modify the block. The guy I got the crank from was looking for a sb 400 crank to build a stroker and I just happened to have one so we traded. As far as rods I'm not sure what I'm gonna use yet. I'm actually a little confused about the pistons. I've looked in jegs and summit and they both offer pistons for 327's and 350's but I dont know if there is actually a differance since they are both a 4" bore. I guess since I'm building a 327 I will buy the 327 pistons. Well I've babbled long enough....Have a good one, HRS10
Old 05-28-2002, 03:25 AM

No difference, what so ever.

Try boring it using a stressplate, then
you'll feel the difference !
Old 05-28-2002, 03:40 AM

.030 is perfect. For the street, you'll be happier with a longer stroke (more torque). If affordable, utilize the crank from a 400 with hyper-eutectic pistons from Kieth Black/Silvo-lite. The mains will have to be turned down.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:33 AM

Thumbs up

To bore any block correctly, have the block checked for condition (wear, taper, scoring etc.) then order the pistons for the size overbore that will clen up the block. When the pistons are in hand the machine shop should neasure them to get an exact size and then bore and hone the block with "torque plates" installed that simulate the load the cylinder heads put on the block. Boring any larger than neccessary is a waste, there is NO POWER GAIN to be had and you may ruin the block for further rebuilds should you ever have a problem. Have fun
Old 05-28-2002, 06:01 AM

I agree with most everyone who has already responded. Once the block has been okayed as sound, bore (with torque-plates)only as much as necessary for the oversize pistons available. Building a 377 or 383 makes a killer torque motor, and it's fairly flexible as well. I've built 5 differnet combinations of that motor for customers, and no one has been dissappointed. However, the standard 350 (rebuilt properly) is still hard to beat for overall performance and durability.

Best of luck to you, and take care.

Philville
Old 05-28-2002, 09:41 AM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Thumbs up

Boring to the piston size I didn't know. I also didn't know anything about torque plates but seeing as I want to build the best motor that I possibly can, I will make sure I do these things. The reason I asked the question about boring to different sizes is because, when you hear someone bragging about everything they have done to thier motor, they always say its been bored 30 over, like its a performance mod or something. I was almost possitive that boring was simply for cleaning up the cylinder walls but I told someone that I was gonna have it bored .030 and they said, "well why not .040 or even .050 for even more power?". That got me thinking and thats what let me to asking the question to begin with. But thanks to you guys the question was cleared up and I learned a little about how to go about having my block bored out. Thanks alot to everyone that responded...Dont know what I'd do without you guys...(yes I do, I'd screw it up).

Thanks again, HRS10
Old 05-28-2002, 10:58 AM

Red face

Nope - you will not see any difference in power. All you will do is use up valuable cylinder wall thickness needlessly. If .030 will do it - stay with that. If you do the math, .010 of cylinder diameter will only get you less than a cubic inch of displacement at best (total for the eight cylinders!). Save the metal for when you might need it!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.