Cummings or Power stroke? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Cummings or Power stroke?

My bro has been trying for the last two years to get a truck. He finally has the money and the aproval of the wife. He asked me tonight about my opinion on Dodge's Cumming diesel and Fords power stroke. I had no idea what to say to him, but knew some of you would. I would apreciate the runndown on both of these if you could. Just the pros and cons and overall opinion of the two diesels. Thank you for your time.

HK

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

From a guy I know who has owned both,

"The Dodge is like a truck, slow powerful and noisy...the Ford was like a smooth running passenger car in comparison and the engine revs more like a car" he bought the Dodge only for it's looks. This was for the 2001 model, the new Dodges might be completely different. I've never driven either.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:18 PM

The new cummins dodge will run circles around the powerstroke it is a pure torque monster they are pushin 600 ft lbs now and 315 hp I have a 96 cummins with 322000 miles on the original MOTOR and it is pushin 800 ft lbs of torque they flat hall ***** and will run forever and pull anything you can through behind them go DODGE!!
Old 01-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

I drive a tow truck on the side for spare cash and parts, and I like the powerstroke better, than the Cummins, less noise, vibrations, and in my opinion pull just as good. The truck my buddy owns now for towing is a Ford F-super duty, and its great, I don't know why you'd need more power than it has, I've yet to be in a situation where I'd like more power, pulling anything on any mountain the power stroke does great. I personally don't like dodges cause a friend has a '93(I believe) its the older body style anyways, and has had nothing but problems, with parts, particularly tranny, and suspension (and its got under 100,000 km's on the truck. Nothing wrong with the power plant though. The tow truck has been great with 208,000 km's and counting. I think Fords are better work trucks as well. Just my experience with the two makes.

bonuts
Old 01-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

My brother just drove a new f-250 powerstroke, the ones with 560ftlbs and 325hp. He said it hauls major *****. You can really beef up both of them performance wise. I ***** you not, at the dragstrip, i saw a mid 90s dodge diesel run a 14.0. It was the sight to see, big ol truck with drag slicks and one of those tool box things that you put in the bed pull up to the burn out box and let it go. It sounded like a really angry UPS truck, with a turbo whine. It spit out gobs of black smoke at first, then we all sat and watched in amazement as it did a one tire fire burnout. Matter of fact, i think it beat an LT1 camaro or something.

If you read the truck trend magazines, or consumer reports, they test these trucks. I read a report on pickups, although not diesels, comparing the silverado, f150, and dodge ram. It came out with silverado on top then the f-150, and then the ram. Suposedly, the ram wasn't as user friendly, or comfortable, or have as nice of an interior as the others. But you really can beef them all up just the same. Turbos, injectors, propane, exaust, you name it. I suppose its a matter of preference. If i were you i would go for the Ford....then again, i bleed ford blue.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:05 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Not a Ford vs Dodge issue. The Cummings deisel has a great track record in reliablility and and the Power Stroke is sort of in the infintile stage, relatively speaking. Both motors are strong on HP and torque so the deciding factor would be what moves that power to the ground. Both are weak in the tranny area, especially with the "chip tuning" available. The Ford has big time clutch problems in the Manual area. My next door neighbor is service manager for local Ford dealership and he does not talk about what's wrong, but what they have to do and how often they have to do it along with the things Ford keeps trying to do to overcome known weaknesses. The weak Dodge automatic is probably common knowledge, but it evidently does pretty good after the $2000 rebuild job after warranty has expired. I have not heard any complaints about their 5 speed to compare with Fords. It probably boils down to what he wants out of the truck; plush, Ford or plain, Dodge.

Trees
Old 01-10-2003, 05:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The Cummins has a proven track record. They will consistantly run over 300,000 miles with out engine problems. Clutch is not great on the manual, and an auto in a big truck is just assinine in my opinion so I will not go there. My dad owns an 01' Cummins with a chip and some turbo tweeking. It is the most powerful truck I have been in. It is fast and will pull anything. It will pull a loaded 30 ft cattle trailer up any hill you can find at 85MPH I would guess it is making in the area of 400 HP and 700 Lb/FT with almost stock parts. Also, the manual dodges have a larger turbine section on the turbo and will make better power with upgrades.

I also know a couple of guys with the new powerstrokes. They are nice trucks, but have less available for upgrades. They do make alot of power with a good chip upgrade however.

I vote dodge, but ford's are also nice.

Chris
Old 01-10-2003, 05:39 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

I drive a Superduty F250 Powerstroke as my company car. Bar none the best Truck I have ever driven. Our Fleet Services Department services everything from Toyota electrics to 10T line and bucket trucks. The heavy trucks are powered by the same Powerstroke engine as my Superduty. No problems, no service issues, and actually are cheaper and easier to maintain than the GM, International, and Dodge Trucks we previously used. If I were buying a medium duty truck for myself, It would be the Ford. They are indestructible. BTW, 18MPG on highway,MT; 15MPG full load and 10,000 lb trailer.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Biggarmike ]</p>
Old 01-10-2003, 02:05 PM

One of my landscape trucks, an F-450, 1999 moderl, has the powerstroke. I believe it is quite a bit quiter than the cummings, but mine uses 4 qts of oil between changes, 5,000 miles, and FOrd says that's normal and won't fix it. The truck currently has 42,000 miles on it. Good power, gets 10mpg, but uses oil.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:53 PM

I would buy the new dodge fords are low quality and there resale value is not good. they are a dime a dosen I have one and I can not sale the dang thing for what I owe the dodge has the better deisel and better quality than ford and it holds its value alot better. the new ones they are so quiet you cannot even tell they are a deisel unless you look at the side for a big c plus when it comes to upgrades they get better milage and more power out of them than you can with a ford be smart go with the Dodge I will probley make alot of ford people mad but hey I have had both and I know. hey I thought at one time I liked ford to but then I got smart.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

hmmmm
Old 12-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I see diesel trucks here at the house all the time.
By far the most upgraded is the Ford, and the awesome rumble eminating from some of these trucks is impressive, then the turbo whine. all screams POWER.
But some of the guys around here have almost the price of a new truck invested in some of these engines, I know of only [color=red]1[/color] twin turbo 7.3 diesel and the drivetrain in that Ford is NOT stock.
The Cummins diesel is the least upgraded around here as it seems well enough alone, but there aren't nearly as many.
A friend at work and his brother both have Dodges, 1 manual and one auto, both are reported to smooth out, quiet down, and perform flawlessly when loaded.

The one that surprises me is the new Duramax in the Chevy's, by far the quietest diesel I have seen yet, no rattle at idle, no turbo whine at full throttle, and keeps up with the stock Fords.
But while good it has a very short existance and virtually no track record compared with the other two.
I have never liked Fords, was GM trained and loyal, BUT the Ford has my attention when it comes to the diesel trucks, until you move above the 1 ton trucks, then its a whole new ballgame.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:43 PM

Chevy's duramax they are having problems with there injectors check the dealerships and see how many are on back order around your area. but yes they are quiet
Old 12-10-2003, 03:22 PM

in my opinion, either truck,dodge or ford, would be a great investment. what does he plan on doing with this truck?relly the question should be manual or automatic.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

We have a 2002 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 turbo diesel. Its not fast by any means but MAN that thing is powerful, it can pull anything, it has 3.55 gears with a limited slip. We used to have a 2000 Ram, this was a single cab, extended bed with the same motor and 4:10 gears, that truck would hual *** to like 75 I say go with the cummings.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.