cunifer brake lines -- anyone? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

cunifer brake lines -- anyone?

I saw this at the Leno garage website. Cunifer brake lines are a European concept -- originally from Volvo I believe. They're copper alloy lines that have some kind of plating.

They're supposed to be reliable and more flexible. Apparently they can be routed without bending tools. They're also supposed to be easier to flare and conform better to the other fittings.

Does anyone know anything about them? I've never had the nerve to flare ordinary brake tube because of all of the horror stories. It would be nice if this cunifer stuff would make this job easier.

All comments apprteciated, thanks

ford2go

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

These guys have it ..
http://fedhillusa.net/default.aspx

Along with a bunch of other things tubing related..

Looks cool, our local tubing supply guy has it, I have not used it, but a friend of mine has...he thought it was good stuff. 'Spensive though. It polishes up real nice.

Cu-ni-fer is an anagram for Copper, (Cu), Nickel,(ni),ferrous, (iron,Fe)
Kewl, eh.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
jack of all trades

Last photo:

interesting, and expensive. for anything other than rust prevention, and maybe the gold polish finish, i don't see it fixing anything. making flares in regular line is no problem.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Forgive the late intrusion but I came across this thread whilst looking for somehting else.

Long story cut short - the copper nickel alloy was developed as a solution to the problems of using copper pipe, which was in turn a solution to the problems of usng steel pipe.

Kunifer/cunifer tubing is widely used and widely available here in the UK. It's an alloy (not a coating) of mainly Copper and Nickel and I don't use anything other than this on my cars. Its easy to work with but its a solution to a problem that you may not have in some parts of the US. Our climate is very damp and I would guess the nearest that you can relate to is what you seem to call the 'rust belt'. In witer we salt the roads and steel brake lines rust through in a very short time, so does the rest of the car but that's another story. We started using copper brake lines as a way of combatting the 'tin worm' but found that they work hardened pretty easily and if subjected to vibration they would crack. Kunifer is stronger and doesn't work harden as easily but also doesn't corrode.

Hope that helps

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.