Cupped Lower control arms - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cupped Lower control arms

I cupped my lower control arms for my build that I am doing. I am using a 75 chev c-10 frame. SO here is my question do I trim the tops of the cup level with the control arms or do I/can I leave them the way they are?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cupped control arm.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	74604  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Can't answer the question without asking questions... Why did you do this? What are the "walls" for? What is going in the "cup"? Air Bag?
Mark
Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 AM

Last photo:

I cupped them for airbags so I could get the front crossmember to lay on the ground. I used some steel that I already had here since I did it on a Sunday. So all I am really wondering is if I can weld them up this way and they should be ok or if I need to trim them down for better welds. The flat bar stock is 3" x 1/4". Any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

How much clearance to the sides of the air bag? You may want to check those clearances during suspension travel. Running aired up or down may cause rubbing on an inflated or deflated bag.
I see no reason to trim them unless you have to for bag clearance. If you have to, take just enough to give you a 1/2" of clearance at worst case.
Mark
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

The bags I am running have been installed and aired up and down on the truck already and checked for clearance . We are good to go there. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Yeah, that "wall" hitting the crossmember at the spring pocket would be my concern.

Brian
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

MARTINSR thanks for the concern but when I mocked it all up before finish welding everything the front control arms/crossmember hits the ground well before the cup hits the crossmember. Although I did move the cups up about 1/2" to 1" but I should have plenty of room still. Now I have another question after talking to a guy I work with about weld-thru primer. I primed the whole thing in weld-thru its what I had and I did not know when I would get around to finishing them up. He said that the paint would contaminate the welds, but it is weld-thru primer I should be ok to just go ahead and weld the cups in to the arms, right? Or should I clean up the weld area again weld then re-paint? Thanks again guys.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
If it's "weld thru" primer than it is high in zinc and it is as the name implies designed to "weld thru". That being said if you applied it heavy, it can be difficult to get a good bead. I would thin it out a little before welding, it doesn't hurt. Let me put it this way, you will know right away if there is a problem because you just can't get a good bead the it will be popping and crap just as if you were welding over any other contaminant.

Brian
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

Around cars...as a rule, if steel doesn't need to be there, cut it out. Between your material thickness and the amount that would still be left on the sides, I think they'll be plenty strong.

I imagine that weld-through primer, which I've never used, is for convenience in certain body sheetmetal applications and not because it is otherwise a good idea, i.e. there might be some compromise involved (which would increase with coating thickness). Unless you know for sure, why not grind areas to be welded clean first in this important structural part?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

I would cut the walls down... with the walls that high you are increasing the area for debris to get wedged between the wall and the bag. One good chunk of gravel in there and your replacing a bag.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.