Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Curing Concrete.
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 09:01 PM
il enforcer

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
A week would be plenty. The 28 day number comes from the fact that concrete reaches its maximum strengh in that time. It is the spec for critical structures like bridges, & buildings. For a parking slab, especially one that is 6" thick - normal is 4", adequate strength is reached in a couple of days.
Thanks. Is a normal slab only 4" thick? They must be concrete crazy around here. My bud's neighbour built a garage, dug 6' for the footers and foundation and has a 12" slab.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin45
How many times have you been out walking around on it trying it on for size?

Kevin
I have been out there at least a dozen times today watering and planning where everything will go. I was not allowed to plan for a lift or a pit. Stupid city regs. I have it full all ready ( in my mind at least ) . I wish I could have built it larger.

On the plus side the wife and I are buying an acreage so I will get to do this again. I am planning a 40 by 60 auto shop and a 20 by 30 wood shop.

I was also planning to build a smaller auto shop so I did not have to heat so much in the winter. I spent $300+ per month last winter just keeping the house warm.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrimeMover
My Dad was a cement finisher for 46 years. He always said the perfect cure for concrete is 99 years under water. I think that's overkill. On a six inch slab with wire mesh, I'd keep it wet for a week before I drove onto it. If you can scuff it with your shoe, it's still green - be carful for a few days, it'll cure.

PrimeMover
If it would have kept raining it may have all been underwater.

I did not use mesh opting instead for 10MM rebar at 18 inch intervals. I assume it should be strong enough for the cars I own.

Last edited by CET; 08-14-2003 at 08:58 PM.