Curing Lamps for Powder Coating Applications - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

31Vicky, that is an excellent breakdown. I couldn't have asked for a more simpler explanation. You've clearly know your stuff. Thank you so much!

powderbill, thanks for sticking around this thread in case we have any more questions.

Hey Matt,
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
i have heard of guys building a metal 4 sided box (top and 3 sides) that fits onto the front of the oven so they can use it with the door open for bigger parts
Thats interesting. I would think it would be a five-sided box to keep the dust and cold air out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
what powder coating system are you using and how well do you feel it works?

this is something i have wanted to start doing for a long time

i had a guy, but he sold his business, and the new owner, after some very bad experiences (long story) could'nt pay me to coat my stuff
I am using Eastwood's Elite HotCoat Powder Coating Kit. To me, it seems like a good starter kit with the gun, some basic colors, plugs for holes and a guide book. I have only used it twice but I feel it works well. I have powder coated a set of wrenches and a carburetor and they came out pretty good, in my opinion. The system has very good reviews online as well.

The system isn't difficult to use at all. As long as the compressor is up and running, the gun is properly grounded on the part and there isn't too much powder in the bottle, things go rather smoothly.

Now that I am considering doing things like valve covers with the raised letters in different colors that the covers and whatnot, I am having to learn how to properly mask parts and properly cure the two different colors.

One of the things I have not figured - and I hope someone can chime in about it - is how to powder coat a part that is hanging from the wire, but the wire is covering a part of it. This is not a problem if the wire is in a place where the part won't be coated. But for something like wrenches, there will be that small section that won't be painted because the hanging wire is on top of it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wire blinding part of the part

What you have discovered is called the"fariday cage"effect. What this means is this-powder coatings are electostaticly applied. You put a charge on the powder and ground the part so the powder is attracted to it. The powder will take the shortest path to grounded metal, which in you example is to the wire leaving a blind uncoated area behind it. Only way to avoid is to hang part different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
curing lamps, home shop tools, oven, powder coating

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.