Hot Rod Forum banner

Current GM rear wheel drive cars?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  smallblocker2 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I used to keep up with what cars the manufacturers produced, but nowdays I have a problem keeping up with what's what.
What GM models are rear wheel drive as of 2003?
I have a 96 trans am {6th F-Body} and have mainly owned GM RWD's for many years, but don't know for sure now what is RWD and what's FWD or AWD.
Thanks for any info!!!

#6 ·
I meant that mine, being a 65, was not a clone, but an american made pontiac GTO. Yes, the new holden monaro, I mean pontiac GTO's are real, real corporate. What if they had called it a Chevelle? Buick GSX? Olds Rocket?

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Back then, first came the goat, then the rest followed. Perhapse it will happen again.

But they'll all be chevy powered.
Bummer
Steve.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input everybody. :)
"Corvette, caddy CTS-CTSV, pontiac solstice",
"GTO",
"sts Xlr".

What a shame there are so few. Do they still make the B body, {Impala, Caprice, Roadmaster ect.}?

I was just curious since the other night at work a buddy asked me what production rack & pinion unit might be a choice for modifying his 97 S10 to fit in.
I figured it would likely need to come from a rear wheel drive, but when I started to name some RWD GM cars as possible donors, I couldn't think of anything except Vette, B-body and GTO.

Speaking of 1st gen. GTO's, I have a friend who has two 67's in show condition and a 2004 and he just bought a 70 in show condition a couple of months ago although I haven't got any pictures of it yet.
Here are some pics of the 67 goat's, 62 Impala SS, 2 Vettes and his 02 T/A WS6.
And here is the 2004 goat with ram air hood and Judge stripes added. :thumbup:

#11 ·
tm454 said:
My 2000 STS is fwd maybe the awd/4wd is an option.

Tazz
Not sure if this includes 2000, but according to the Caddy website current, pre-2006 STS's are available in AWD with V8 engine only.
Early in 2006, the STS V6 will join the V8 with optional all-wheel-drive. Currently, the STS V8 is available with performance-tuned All-Wheel Drive so you get impressive Northstar V8 power evenly distributed to all four wheels. Integrated with StabiliTrak and All-Wheel Traction Control, it helps deliver precise cornering in dry and wet road conditions. With a 40/60 front-rear torque split and a 3.23.1 final drive ratio, expect a superb performance.
. :cool:

#12 ·
GM rear wheel drive?

The sad thing about present day GM rear wheel drive cars is, WHO CARES!!! They just lost an opportunity to make a real(rear wheel drive) car with the HHR. They dropped the ball and marketed a PT Cruiser clone many years too late. Catching up is hard to do. It's bad news when the CEO of GM makes a statement that they need to start making vehicles that people want to buy. GM has fallen to #3 of the big 3. I heard a Pontiac stylist say retro is a dirty word at GM. Tell that to the guys standing in line to buy 2005 Mustangs. Very few people are rushing to Pontiac showrooms to buy a phony GTO. I must admit, I'm a bit bias being FORD guy. My dad was a GM guy and I was a GM guy most of my life, but not today.

#13 ·
davedeltadog said:
The sad thing about present day GM rear wheel drive cars is, WHO CARES!!! They just lost an opportunity to make a real(rear wheel drive) car with the HHR.
Sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night so my brain is a little slow. What is the HHR?
Sorry. :rolleyes:
BTW: GM pissed me off when they dis-continued the F-body. This is my 6th one and if they bring back the Camaro or Firebird, I'm afraid it will be a front wheel drive mistake which will make owning #7 a no-deal for me :( .

#14 ·
davedeltadog said:
The sad thing about present day GM rear wheel drive cars is, WHO CARES!!! They just lost an opportunity to make a real(rear wheel drive) car with the HHR. They dropped the ball and marketed a PT Cruiser clone many years too late.
The HHR is a retro placed on a Cobalt chassis. Sorry, the PT cruiser (disigned by an ex G.M. employee) doesn't come close to to the quality of the HHR. I think the Ford T-Bird (Corvette clone) was fairly successful against the Chevrolet Corvette. It wasn't in production until 2 years later. The G.M. theory is PT Cruiser buyers will now have a quality choice and trade out of their cruisers. They can't get enough HHRs on the dealership lots as of now. We'll have to see what 2006 brings.
I'm kind of glad it's not a true 1948 Suburban clone. I like having an original :D

davedeltadog said:
GM has fallen to #3 of the big 3.
Where you getting your information? General Motors is #1 and Toyota is #2, based on sales.

#16 ·
Sad thing is, that GM was developing an American made rear drive platform on which to build they're mid-sized sedans. And they pulled the plug on it.

Just when I had my hopes up for buying something newer than 87.
Darn.

GM has just lost touch with they're existing customer base, Perhapse the infusion of all that foreign blood into the corporation has given them a disease.

I pray for a cure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.