cushion sewing question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cushion sewing question

I'm working my way up to do the interior in my truck when the time comes. The interim project is reupholstering the seat cushions in my camper.

(photoshopped together)

So far, I've been cutting the material the same size as the foam. For example, a 15x10x4" cushion gets two 15x10" faces and a 50x4" boxing (including the zipper plaque). Obviously, once I sew it, the cushion cover is smaller than the foam, but a combination of the foam compressing and the material stretching fills out the cusion well and the final result has been pretty good.

The last piece I have to do is 72x24x2.75, it's the back of the couch and also folds up to be the top bunk in one of the beds. Inside the original cover is a chunk of 3/4" plywood along with 2" of foam. The plywood isn't going to compress like the foam, but since it's such a big piece, I think the tweed will stretch enough to cover it.

So, what's the best approach - cut the faces to 72x24" and let the 1/2" selvage eat into this dimension, or add the 1/2" to those dimensions and cut the piece bigger? Or maybe cut the face next to the plywood bigger, and cut the other face (next to the foam) as I've been cutting the rest?

Sorry for the long post..

Advertisement

Last edited by Stinkin_V8; 06-17-2003 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Hey, bro'

Seems to me, the piece to play with is the 2.75" piece. .75" is plywood and 2" is foam ... I would stick with your usual way of sizing everything, otherwise you're gonna SEE a difference in this piece.

I'd make the 2.75" piece 2.25" ... I think that'll snug it up same as your other cushions.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Alan,

I think I know what you're getting at. Are you taking the selvage into account? Once I sew the 2.75" boxing to the faces, it will be 2.25" which is similar to what I did with the other cushions. All the other pieces use 4" foam, and I never noticed until now that this piece is different because of it's location. I cut the boxing to 4", sew it on and fight the foam into the cover. Once it's in, it looks great. Way better than a guy like me should be able to pull off!

I'm more worried about fitting the face around that plywood. The original face used to sag under the plywood when the bed was up, I'd like mine to be snug.

I've been trying to salvage the zippers off of the old cushions.. It's just not worth it, some don't even work at all anymore. So I'm off to the upholstery shop to get some zipper, but I'm thinking of trying velcro instead... Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2003, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

2.25 sounds a bit tight to me ... but if that matches the kind of snugness that you've done on the other pieces, go for it.

Velcro should work okay ... I think that's your call, too.

I think the sagging around the plywood was due to age ... and due to people sitting a lot - naturally, the foam goes down and the vinyl sags whenever someone sits on it.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-18-2003, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Talking

I wish I had me a couple of nice vehicles to fix up like that Im stuck fixin up a pinto. I dont know much about sewin goodluck
Old 06-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Stinkin_V8, Velcro is probably your best choice for fasteners. Easy to install and low maintenance. Also makes things much simpler if you ever want to take the covers off to clean them.

As for the sizing of that last cushion, I would add 1/2" to the dimensions and cut the piece a little bigger, as you said, plywood will not compress the way the foam does. Also, you need to consider that if the fabric or vinyl you're using is too tight against the plywood you will be adding stress to it and run the risk of it tearing or the stitching coming loose.

Just my .02
Good Luck :p
Old 06-22-2003, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

That's a good point and, as usual, 4Jaw's info is most helpful!

I would sand and ROUND off all corners and edges of the plywood - especially the corners.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-23-2003, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

Another suggestion if you're really concerned about this cushion looking different than the others, is to cut it the way you did the others but add a reinforcing pad at the corners where the fabric/vinyl will be contacting the plywood. A small circle of vinyl sewn into the inside corner should do the trick.
Most campers already have the corners of any plywood bed platforms rounded, but if your camper is an older model this may not have been standard at the time it was manufactured.
Have fun, some pics when it's done would be nice.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Yep, the corners are already rounded. The sag is underneath the plywood (it folds up as the top of the bunkbed and down as the back of the couch). I think I'll give it a shot of spray glue to keep it from sagging, although it isn't a big deal unless you're on the bottom bunk looking up and really bored.

The person at the fabric store talked me into zippers, they were better quality than the ones I was taking off, less sewing than velcro, half the price, and better holding than velcro.

Thanks for the input, folks. And nice to see you aboard, Chick. Chuck's helped me on a few topics, and now you. If this keeps up, you'll have to adopt me!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

No bout aDout it ... Chuck is a BIG help 'round here! I've only been a member here for 5 months and I can't count the number of times Chuck has helped me out.

Thanks, Chuck.

I would definitely glue that bottom panel, bro' ... and to add a nice touch, I'd glue foam under it, too.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-23-2003, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I've always found the zippers that are used from the factory for things like camper cushions and such are pretty cheesy. If you've found a heavy duty one that's easier to install than Velcro, go for it! And how about just flipping the plywood over so that the warped side faces up, then whoever uses it next will have to warp it back the other way. A good shot of spray glue probably wouldn't hurt either.
And thanks for the welcome guys, makes me feel all gooshy inside:skeptic:
Old 07-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I'm confused! (not about the thread, sounds like great advise) I haven't been a member long either, but I've read numorous threads where 4 Jaw Chuck, Haloweenking, and Willy's have been GREAT help. But on this thread, it says 4 Jaw "CHICK"! Alan, you keep saying Chuck, am I missing something?
4 Jaw Chick, any relation to Chuck? Since I'm on here a lot, I figure I should get to know you guys/gals!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Hi gt2, I'm 4 Jaw Chick. (You can call me Chickie for short), I'm also a junior Greasewhore (Kim aka Chevyluvnpuppy) is the Head Greasewhore. :laugh:
Is there any relation between myself and 4 Jaw Chuck? In a word -- YES! I'm the little woman (so to speak) and he only just let me out of the basement about a month ago. He still likes to put the chains on occassionally but it sure is nice to see the light of day. I don't have the knowledge that Chuck does, but I have a my areas and I try to help out when I can.
Nice ta meet ya!
Old 07-03-2003, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

My mistake, man. The Li'l Lady's advice was so cool, I thought it were Chuck his self! It figures that Chuck's Ol' Lady would be so hip.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-03-2003, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Horvath, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know my advice is helpful!:laugh:
Like I said, I don't have Chuck encyclopedic knowledge (the man is a machine, it's kinda scary sometimes ) but I do have my areas and I try to help out when I can.

Chickie.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.