Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Custom Air Compressor Guide
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39chevy
Thanks oldred, mine compressor as of now (pretty old) takes 60 seconds to fill back up to 120 psi then lasts for 1 min. and 45 seconds before it kicks from 90psi. I guess I will live with it. It's at a garage that is used strickly for painting, gets kinda loud, is there a muffler I can put on this thing? Thanks for the help, Dana

With 5 HP and a single stage pump a 60 gallon tank is about right and if you really have to have more air then a bigger pump/motor for more CFM is about the only solution. As far as the noise you might try routing a hose from outside the shop to the intake on the pump. Doing that can sometimes make a difference because while the compressor may still be noisy it should be somewhat easier to live with. If possible it is best to place the compressor outside the work area because this not only eliminates or greatly reduces the noise problem it prevents the pump from inhaling contaminated air from painting, grinding, etc.