Hot Rod Forum banner

custom body mods

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Halloweenking 
#1 ·
Hey guys i don't drive a hot rod, but i am here because you guys have been around since cars existed and know every trick in the the book. And I respect you guys for that, not everyboy can do it. Well my question is for all the body guys, I want to customize the exterior of my car with the latest and greatest body mods.I've looked through the knowledge base,past topics and other websites. And its not very clear to me. I'm just a beginner and do it yourselfer, but willing to experiment till my hands fall off. I don't really have a theme I just know I wanna shave off and modify all I can. (ex. suicide hood, hidden handles, frenched antennas, etc.) So any suggestions, how to's, or points in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanx :D

#5 ·
Oh sorry, I drive a 91 Integra two door hatchback. And thanx everybody for the help so far. About the scissor doors, You got any tips on how to do it? I know there is a kit out there at <a href="http://www.decah.net" target="_blank">www.decah.net</a> but its about 1500 dollars, I'd rather try to do it myself. How about suicide hood? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :D

#6 ·
Scissor doors? The link didn't work, so i could look.

The hood is simple, just get a set of buick hinges from the scrap yard and fab them onto your hood.

What kind of theme are you going with, hw do you want your car to look? What kind of paint are you going with? Give me something to go on. Random modifications are tacky and they take away from the car, not add to it. Find a theme, colors, anything that will tell me what look your trying for and I'll come up with some custom mods for you.

HK

#7 ·
I am wanting to paint my car a HOK Kandy cobalt blue with ice blue pearl. I have always loved and respected HotRods and I want to incorporate all those eye popping mods onto a newer model car. I am open to anything you guys can help me with. So a blue integra two door hatchback with i guess a HotRod theme inside and out. And I know HotRods and imports are in two different classes but i wanna try to bring them together,somehow. scissor doors looks like:
http://www.lambolounge.com/Building_Notes/Door-wings/Door-Wings.asp ,any ideas?

#8 ·
Well if you intend on the candy cobalt you better know how to do some perfect bodywork. Every little ripple you'll see with a dark shiny color so the bodywork needs to be 100% perfect.

They tell you on that site how to do those doors, but if theres that many out there I'd try to come up with something else. Integras of that year are pretty nice cars. If you wanting originality and something cool I'd try to be a bit more creative. You said your doing all of this yourself correct? Tell me what kind of tools and skills you have so I know what ideas you can do. Do you have a welder or acess to a welder or know how to weld sheet metal or any metal for that matter?

HK

#9 ·
i actually help out at a body shop and and have access to all their tools including a welder. I am a beginner at welding but getting better, I would say i do pretty decent body work. I also have experienced body guys willing to help for free, they're just not very creative but they can do anything if they have instructions. so I can probably get mostly anything you throw at me done. I just want something unique and creative. Thanks again for everybodys help. :)

#10 ·
Well[B/] then! lets get to the really creative stuff! Creativity without actually doing the work!? Thats right up my alley! :D :D aaaaand another one for good measure :D

First thing to do is make a custom body kit for that little asian honey. Draw something up you might like and scan it and send it to me, I'll tell you how to build it. Draw anything that you''d like to see and I'll tell you how to build it reguardless of how you might think it can't be done. If you have no idea how to start I will draw you up something that could squirt gray matter out of your ears, but you'd have to wait about 3-4 weeks, I'm backed up a bit.

As for the doors, if your going for a speed demon type look make the glass two peice and solid mount the top part like a Delorean or many other cars. or you could remove the post between the side windows and make the rear glass larger and have the ability to roll down. Or make it a T-Top or targa top. Man I have 1001 things you could do, BUT do you want a cool cruiser or something that looks like it could eat gravel?

HK

#12 ·
Well its either eat gravel or cruise, theres never a happy medium. Its either performance or mialage.

I like the eat gravel look better myself and with a cobalt exsterior and some cool custom graphics and some strategically placed metal it will definatly look mean. How it performs is up to you. If i were you and I intended on looking mean, have the small shpericals to back it up.

Draw up a rough sketch of the body kit you like or send me some shots of other integras you like and also send me when you would need the ideas by and I'llDo a rough sketch and how to on how-to accomplish the body kit, then we will go from there onto more complicated mods that will take your car into the shop and out of commision untill you get it completed or it gets warm enough to drive without a roof or windows alright? e-mails in profile.

HK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.