custom brake system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 07:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

custom brake system

Hello
I am building a 63 vette as a street/strip car. It will be mostly street driven, but I do intend on partcipating in some pump gas drag events
I have 4 wheel discs on the car and I had purchased 4 brand new VBP 4 piston calipers for this car.($$$)......then I found some problems
Since my engine is centered in the chassis now, I could not use the original master cylinder in its location. I did buy a brand new Aeromotive master cylinder and I am making floor mounted pedals
The 4 piston calipers are large and heavy. ( too heavy) I have 15 x 4's on the front with a 27.5 in tall tire. I have 15 x 15 in rims on the back with a 19.5 x 33 in tire
The front rims and tires hit the 4 piston calipers. Can I go to a 2 piston caliper on the front and stay 4 piston on the back?? If so, can I use a proportioning valve to offset the calipers, and what should I set the proportioning valve at for a base guideline??
I had even thought of unbolting the calipers(two halfs) and bolting a aluminum plate on the back to make them two piston
I am a tool and die maker and can fab up brkts for the calipers to float
The motors are further back on the vette for weight distribution and I am using a harder spring on the front for street driving, I can change the coil overs for the strip. I also know about using residual valves at the master , since it is lower than the calipers
Newer Vettes have a 2 piston design as well as a lot of other cars, such as my Lumina......could I just use them
I am sorry for such a long winded question, but I want to get the braking system correct, and I hope I am not getting off on the wrong track.
I don't want to buy any more parts that are not correct and fab up something that won't work
I am also doing many other things on the car, ( too much going on)so I don't want to overlook something here.
I would apreciate any help on this matter
thanks
Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny496
The front rims and tires hit the 4 piston calipers. Can I go to a 2 piston caliper on the front ?

Tom
Most brake folks say that a single piston caliper is better.......because it is less prone to leak....

Old 03-30-2006, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

Hello
I recieived a reply to this post, but it does not look like it is showing up
I centerd the engine and the rear end is a narrowed Dana. The car has been back halfed with custom 2x3 mandrel bent frame rails
I have R@P steering, so I am not using any of the original mechanism
I have thought of unbolting the two halves of the calipers and mounting a flat aluminum plate on the back, so in essense the calipers are now only two piston. The brkts will be modified to allow the calipers to float( I am a tool and die maker so I can fab stuff up)
I already purchased VBP calipers which where not cheap. I think even a factory two piston will have clearance isues with the rim
I had not really heard much back on this, so I kinda' already started the modifications.........hopefully it works
take care
Tom
Old 03-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny496
Hello
I recieived a reply to this post, but it does not look like it is showing up
Tom
You got a reply but I deleted it...It was SPAM.....

Old 03-31-2006, 01:42 PM

Hydroboost Systems

I Posted A Long Winded Answer, But It Was Deleted.

another edit....by the Moderator....because of
SPAM........

BoB ...you have been warned.........

This is your last warning.....

Last edited by Deuce; 03-31-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.