Custom Cam Grinds - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2002, 01:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Custom Cam Grinds

I'm in the process of building a 383 and I need some ideas on a good cam grind. This will be used on the street and track, auto trans with a 10" converter and 373 gears. I will not be using any vaccum, manual brakes and mechanical advance dist. I'm planning on this operating between 3000 and 7000 rpms. I need to know a good centerline and lift and duration. I have had bad luck before using store bought cams, they all seem to be ground more for street use and the throttle response sucks. I want very fast revs and smooth top end. And of course being driven to the grocery store on weekends it needs an impressive idle.(or lack of!). I have been out of engine building for a few years and after getting dusted by young punks in GT 'stangs I want to hurt them bad, time to tear down the wifes firebird.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If ultimate power is what you are looking for you should check out the circle track grinds by the various MFG's. Personally I thought the street grinds to be as radical as you could want, anything above 300 degrees duration is good for +7000rpm. Any of the grinds suitable for alchohol fueled dirt trackers are nasty radical, maybe just right for you. You will need the heads to make use of these grinds however and some serious porting will be required to use them to their fullest.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:29 PM

If you want quick throttle response and strong midrange, use a cam with a tighter lobe spacing like 110 degrees, or less. Wider lobe spacing can increase peak HP slightly.

For lift, you always want as much as possible for the duration you are running. Roller cams are great, because they allow a good amount more lift because of their steeper ramps. However, this also means it's easier to float a valve. At 7000+ RPM, a rev kit is a good idea.

What size tires are you going to run? 3.73 seems a little steep for a 10" convertor. You may be better off with 4.56 gears
Old 04-17-2002, 08:14 AM

I want to try and stay away from the super low gears because I still want to cruise at decent highway speeds without turning 7 grand all day. I had a car before with 373's and 10" converter and it seemed to give the best of both worlds. I'm not looking for all out low ET but I will be running a 9" rear so if need be I can have a 2nd 3rd member for race day if it's too sluggish in the 1320. I'm planning on buying after market heads and want to try and get out of the box performance without having to do much porting work myself. What do you recomend, Brodix, Dart, Edelbrock, Holley or any other brand?

Also who is a good cam co to call and try to get one ground the way I want it? Like I said just about every store bought cam I bought seemed to be ground for streetability and vaccum and I nev er bought an all out race grind because each one offered is made for a specific app and I still want to drive on the street and I'm not worried one bit about vaccum or idle, infact if I have to set it at 1500rpm's to idle that would be great because like anybody else I love that big cam sound.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:15 AM

Cool

Have you tryed competition cams like the magnum series 292h 244 duration 501 lift
Old 04-17-2002, 09:28 AM

You probably know this, but you are dealing with a whole lot of trade-offs. I can't think of a motor that would produce great power at 7000 rpm that is acceptable as a daily driver.

Call CompCams and talk to them. But you will have to have a general idea of the whole motor first. The heads and piston shape are important as are runner size, intake manifold and exhaust manifold.

To get that level of rpm's you are going to have to spend some serious money on heads. Talk to the AFR folks about what you want. I would also suggest that you take a look at some of the past issues of Chevy High Perfomance. They have done a lot of buids on various SBC configurations that will interest you. I think you are looking for a 500hp motor (no NOS) and you can't do that with Vortec heads, so plan on opening up your wallet.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.