custom convertable - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 04:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

custom convertable

Anyone chop an s10 into convertable before? I was wanting to find out what fasteners are used, to put the hard-top back on. I want to chop the top off of my 78 monte carlo. Can it be done?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 05:36 PM
suck, squeeze, bang, blow

Last journal entry: finally reeled it in
Last photo:

A local guy chopped one up. It was kinda butchered in the sense that the hard top never really fit properly. When it was off it was O.k. but the doors didn't really close right after he took it off road a few times. He also had a 305 in it. He claimed the torque from the engine twisted the frame. More than likely it was the body mounts rotted though. (305's don't actually come from the factory with torque)

He welded a couple of mounts on the rear pillar, below the rear window and bolted through with a couple of wing nuts. The front was held in with parts scavenged from a convertible Sunbird Including the windshield header.

The idea was there and I think if someone had some mechanical sense, it would be a nice option. I just don't think he had the passion to make it work properly. Chosing a 305 instead of a 350 and the way it looked slapped together was a dead give away he didn't have the ability. The optional rad polisher was a nice touch too. (the flex fan chewing on the rad).

He also welded a brace in the box to hold the hard top, that seemed to work O.K. but I wonder how heavy the top would be to lift it into the brace. IMO a soft top would be a better choice for summer then, replace the hard top for the winter.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:11 AM

thanks for your help. I think I can stiffen the body/frame and keep everything clean. My thoughts are how to fasten the top back on to the body......I know that it can be done with some sort of latch and some weatherstripping, but what kind of latch? Im trying to think of a way to fabricate a latch easy enough to open and close by hand yet strong enough that when the top is back on it looks like a stock hardtop with a strip of weatherstrip above the windshield! I know it can be done,....Im still trying to dream it all up.

As far as torque and a big engine, I dont need it. All I want is a good straight engine, cause the cars only mission is to cruise~!

I dont understand why "show" cars gotta have big blocks and blowers if there only mission is to cruise. There is so much detail that can be put into the body, chassis, and interior! The engine and dash dont have to be the only focal points! I really want this custom cause its so rare.

The first lowrider I ever saw was a g-body. It was bad! It had hydraulics and 13"rims. And it had no top! The owner chopped it and it was so clean! The frame was fully reinforced, and the body was perfect! Even with its ability to do "three wheele motion" the body was straight, even without the top..........but I want my top to be able to go back on, ....................................I want this challenge!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.