Custom door panels? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2002, 11:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Custom door panels?

Hey, I was curious to see if anyone had any information on how to make custom door panels. I'm looking to make them with like a carpeted design. I hope that made sense. If anyone could help me out on how to get started on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2002, 05:56 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

1Hokie,

I've seen panels made a couple ways. I think the first thing you're going to have to do is find the material that you want to use. Than you will need panel material. Professional shops use this stuff, it's like plastic sheeting, only about 1/16" thick, but i don't know where to buy it other than from them. Or some guys use 1/8" masonite. Masonite is what pegboard is made of, just without the holes. You'll have to take off your original door panels and use the factory panel as a template to cut the right shape and any holes for fasteners, window winders, etc. Then basically all you have to do is glue your material onto the panel and then install it. You may want to hang out at an interior shop and ask a few questions to get an idea. Or, i'm sure you could find a good book also. I don't think it's really all that difficult, just pay attention to detail and take your time.

Good Luck,

JB
Old 03-31-2002, 05:34 AM

1Hokie
Johnnymopar is right, i'ts not real hard to do I use 5/16" wall paneling.Trace your old panels, if you don't have any you can design your own.Just mark holes for handles,rests,any options you want to include,As far as fabric find a JO_ANNES fabric store or simular they have upolstry material clearence tables partial, full rolls of all colors ,textures,designs patterns, and is not exspensive they carry the fabric spray.foam,snap button to cover panel screws etc.Just make sure you allow about 2" over lay of material for folding back on panel,and If using pad or foam allow more depending on thickness,make sure you mesure total amount of fabric before you buy it.They will be able to help you at store since they can tell you approx. amount of material you'll need by your total measurements or just add all together divide by 36,since they sell buy the yard.They also carry chrome,brass, jeweled,buttons for accent highlighting. I do some custom vans,cars,using these materials and you'll be surprised what you can do.I also use oak trim.or chrome trim for boarders. Hope this helps you out on some info.Iwas skeptical when I first tried it,but just take your time,once you start it your ideas can go from mild to wild.If you want to get some ideas go look at some of the custom vans,rod shops you can also use strip lighting on trim looks real cool at night!Flashing leds!etc. !!!!!!!!!

NOVA JEFF
Old 04-15-2002, 06:41 PM

Please be more specific. there are lots of ways to finish as well as build door pannels. Are you building to match the original interior? Do you want to tie into the kick pannels? If you have a two door, do you want to tie into the rear side pannels? What if anything have you tried so far. I know that's a lot of questions. Building a good door pannel needs a lot of planning, look around and see what you like to try and build for your ride. Don't be afraid to ask the owner of the ride your admire what ,if any style he or she has on their door. we can start from there. Good luck I will keep an eye on your questions and offer any sugestions that I can Rodder_5
Old 04-16-2002, 08:08 AM

Hi there. I did my upholstery in my coupe and I found a book by Ron Taylor and Ron Mangus, titled "Custom Auto Interiors" published by Fisher Books had a lot of good procedures and information. As far as a base for the panel, Home Depot has "door skins", a wood panel approximately 1/8"x3'x8' thick. It worked very well. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:12 PM

Try WWW.roddoors.com Free catalog and cool stuff.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:57 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Exclamation

If you do buy products from Roddoors do not buy their fabric and leathers because they are overpriced, I've found their leathers and fabrics to be $100+ over anyone elses for these things, the pre fabed things I don't know because I make all my own interiors so I have nothing to compare it too, but like everyone says, its relitively easy just take your time, don't work with areas to big to manage and work from the middle out, measure 3 times and cut once, I've done 7 interiors and they all turned out pretty well, everyone liked them and ask where I had them done, a few tips, don't use exstremely thin fabric if you can help it, try not to use the spagetti string type setting on the spray cans of adhesive, buy all your fabric at once because if you don't you might never find it again or get the same die lot (color), get a few feet more just in case you make a mistake, or need to recover a peice, and try not to do any of this near in in the same room of a cat, because no matter how hard you try, it will jump on your prodject and get stuck fast, its amusing to watch at first but soon get loud and disturbing, great for Halloween tape though, tape that sound and play it right before people enter your house and you'll get a great reaction
Old 04-17-2002, 06:11 PM

There is an article that might be helpful in the February 1996 issue of American Rodder. It talks about plastic panels made by a company called RodDoor's. It's an ABS plastic and they are supposed to be pretty good. You just add the cloth to cover it and they apparently come in several designs. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:33 PM
old member

i've been doin' interiors professionally for 25 years...i've used rodoors,they are fast,easy,& considering the time factor to make a sculpted door panel,their panels are cost effective.u don't have to use their fabrics if u don't want to,but u better use a glue that is heat resistant or u will see bubbles all over the place,especially on humid days.sculpted panels from a trim shop would easily cost $250 each where i come from(NY).abs plastic can be purchased at any plastics supply house,but it's still $50 a sheet(4x8).025 thick!!here's the trick for sculpted panels"CLOSED CELL FOAM"
Old 04-19-2002, 07:17 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Hey Vintage, I like the closed cell foam idea for sculpted panels. I've got a good idea how it would work but wouldn't mind hearing a bit more. Can you elaborate a bit?
Old 04-20-2002, 12:07 PM

door panels are easy, all u have to do is get the appropriate width masonite or similar material. These will work fine if you cover them in clear coat spray paint first so they don't rot. Then you cover the masonite with whatever material you want, carpet, using 3M Super 77 or some kind of contact cement. You need to apply the cement to both surfaces that will be touching and then wait a little for them to get tacky. Then just put them together and screw the panel in.
pce out-
nitro guy
Old 05-01-2002, 07:38 PM

Thumbs up

I'm a new kid on the block, the lower door panels on my 74 Chevelle are crumbling. The rest of the car is almost perfect and I wasn't sure which way to go. Thanks a bunch
Old 11-03-2002, 12:44 PM

*pulls out the defibulator and revives the thread*

i know this thread is long dead, but i am finally at the point that i think i want to try to do something with my door (and other) interior panels. I have removed the rear bench seat and i have a pair of buckets that I want to put in back there so i will need to figure something out for that, but i think i have some ideas.

i was thinking of using leather and converting everything to make a leather interior. I also want a little padding under the leather so i will need to get the foam (i was looking at quilting matting before i saw this, not sure what the "closed cell" foam is though, i'l look).

would you use spray adhesive to attach the foam then again to attach the leather?

what i was thinking was to glue the foam to the board then use a lock-stitch awl to sew the leather onto the board (pre-punch the holes with an old screwdriver) and i thought that would look real good. is that a bad way to go or just a different way?

if this works i may try my hand at re-upholstering the seats myself too :p
Old 07-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Stuck in the 30's

Last journal entry: Back in the saddle again - almost
Last photo:

custom door panels

I used 1/8 inch ABS sheeting as the backing for my interior. Its readily available from any plastics supply company and its inexpensive, about 20 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. Its durable and you can heat and shape it anyway you want. Its also easy to attach any material with spray on adhesive or clips, screws, etc, if you prefer.

I won't use anything else.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Here are the books that tell all :

Custom Auto Interiors - by Don Taylor & Ron Mangus
If you want to know the procedure for making your own door panels or specialty interior panels, this book will rock your socks off with all the how-to stuff! From planning your interior, to making patterns, armrests, headliners, carpets, building your own seats and more! This is one book you'll keep reading!

Automotive Upholstery Handbook - by Don Taylor
This one covers all the basics involved ... from tools of the trade, to learning to sew ... and shows how to make and install bench seat covers, bucket seats, vinyl tops, Sim-con tops, Landau tops, Convertible tops, headliners, door panels and carpets, and a whole lot more. I like the book above most, but this one is worth having for the explanation of tools and basic sewing skills.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.