Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   custom fade paint job questions (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/custom-fade-paint-job-questions-152540.html)

mustangmatt89 02-01-2009 07:26 PM

custom fade paint job questions

I have a 65 mustang that I plan on painting the last week in April. I am finishing up fabricating the wheel tubs, and rear frame and trunk floor now. I would have kept it original but it was already all cut up. I want to do a custom paint job that looks awesome but is very suttle and does not stand out in a bad way. I am thinking about doing a fade paint job, having a dark red at the bottom to a blac at top. I want the colors to be pearls. I do not know if I should use colors with pearls mixed into them, or use solid colors and just add a pearl topcoat over the whole car, it would make it flow better being the same pearl over the whole car instead of different pearls in each color. I have never done a fade paint job but I am a full time ppg refinish technician so I do know how to paint. I do plan on having this be a $20,000 paint job. I will dissassemble the car, base out the cut ins, assemble, do the outside and fade, take apart, fade the door jambs, fade the engine compartment inside wheel tubs, and outside of engine compartment. And then finally clear coat all the panels. Being on a rotisserey will make it easy to do all this. Any pictures any one could post or any advice would be great.

smrat 02-01-2009 07:50 PM

do a few test panels. chevy did come out with their 1500 model trucks with a 2 tone paint like that a few yr back.silver and blk, red and blk. do a google search

baddbob 02-01-2009 07:54 PM

I've done some complete fade jobs, a few that changed color from front to back and also two that changed from top to bottom. Being your using dark red and black it will be easy. I would add the pearl into the base, but either way repairability will suck. Tougher colors like silver and white can be a challenge. For the tougher fades I use three guns at one time. One loaded with one color, another loaded with the other main color, and a third loaded with a blend of the two. I work all three into each other so the blend is very very gradual. With the two colors you are using it would be easy to mix in some intercoat clear to weaken the colors and merge them together. PPG's DBC500, or D895 will work or SPI's intercoat-my favorite. You're in for a lot of work if you plan to disassemble and complete the blend internally.

smrat 02-01-2009 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well i searched and could only find one car so they either had them kustom painted or they were kustom ordered, but i did see like 1/2 dozen of these 2 tone fogged /blended paint system u r talking bout

mustangmatt89 02-01-2009 08:13 PM

Yeah i am ppg global man so the 895 is the blending stuff i use. I've got a custom dodge truck with a fade paint job that I have to do, so I will get to work on that one first before I do my show car. thanks Matt

sunsetdart 02-03-2009 05:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 pics of a fade I did on my 66 pro street Dart. The colors fade from passion pearl purple to sunset red to sunrise orange, all House of Kolor pearls. It took a good 2 hours to get the fade correct so it looks like it fades from front to back. That's the hardest part, getting the fade to go the right way and not have any defining lines showing where it starts and stops.

DMOne 01-30-2010 08:29 AM

Base coat

Is your base coat white for the lighter colors or dark? Im planning on going guards red flames to a candy apple red. i know i have to go with the lighter color for the candy apple red becuase it is transparent, but do i go all white or silver, or do i do some sort of combo? should i add a third color?

MARTINSR 01-30-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrat
do a few test panels. chevy did come out with their 1500 model trucks with a 2 tone paint like that a few yr back.silver and blk, red and blk. do a google search

Believe it or not, that was a DECAL! You don't really think GM could pull off a paint job like that, do you? :mwink:

Brian

pontgta 01-31-2010 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Believe it or not, that was a DECAL! You don't really think GM could pull off a paint job like that, do you? :mwink:

Brian

You might be reffering to the Southern Comfort Gm Truck's

I love this Fade!

MARTINSR 01-31-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontgta

I love this Fade!

I don't think I remember seeing that one. The ones I have seen had the "blend" down lower. I remember the first time seeing one and thought it was paint too, I was blown away that GM would do that. Then we got one in the shop and I immediately saw that it was two colors with a hard line between them and a decal over the hard line. :rolleyes:

Brian

Rag top bird 02-01-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontgta

I love this Fade!

The trucks from Southern Comfort in Birmingham are all paint no decals

pontgta 02-02-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rag top bird
The trucks from Southern Comfort in Birmingham are all paint no decals

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, i own the truck in the pic, and there is definitely no sticker's on this truck. I looked forever for this truck untill i found it. I would have been dissappointed if it was a decal, but i did research before i bought .

MARTINSR 02-02-2010 08:02 AM

It is a "conversion company" who did it then, I'll be damn.

Brian

DMOne 02-02-2010 08:13 AM

Base coat

so the question still remains light or dark base coat? All the bantering about stickers im not talking stickers, im talking about base coats, sure all you have to do is back it in a certain color and shoot the car half way mix two colors together and shoot the other end with the color that its suppose to blend into and with the mixed color shoot the two blends together but what is the best color to back it with?????

DMOne 02-02-2010 08:32 AM

Custom colors

allrighty then.. all kidding aside here is the real question? i want to do a candy apple red flame over black primmer, silver base coat, then back it again in candy apple red and then airbrush some skulls in the flame. What color would you use to fade into the candy apple red?? any suggestions would be helpful.