Custom Frame (Long) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 10:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Custom Frame (Long)

I am considering embarking on an unusual project. I have a 1970 Mercedes 280SL that I picked up for a good price this spring. It runs well and is in decent shape. (Needs bodywork, paint, etc) With the price of parts so incredibly high, I am considering fabricating a frame or modifying a frame to fit so that I can install a Chevy 350 driveline with a GM rearend. It is a unibody and has an area where the rockers are that frame rails would fit, similar to channeling. I can probably get $3-$6k for the entire driveline and probably another $2k for the items that would be removed from the engine compartment, wheels, spindles, etc. My initial thought is to purchase an aftermarket front & rear suspension from an outfit like Fatman, and fab the supports(frame) to attach the front and rear suspension in the proper location. To fab the support area would basically be a square that would mount in the rocker panels across the firewall, and just in front of where the rear suspension would attach. Another option I thought of would be to find a junkyard frame with similar dimensions and adjust it to fit since the geometry would be preset and I could weld up additional pieces before cutting an existing frame. (ie: use the frame as a template, weld the front and rear suspensions to it after it had been modified to fit under the body.) If any of you that have fabbed custom frames and/or installed aftermarket front/rear suspensions have any advice or direction, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Rusty And Dusty

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1970 Mercedes? Hmmmm.....

Try this site:

http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/Default.htm

Scroll down about a quarter of the page. They did a chassis for a '64 220 SE, so I'll bet they can help you. Good luck on the project. It sounds fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.