Hot Rod Forum banner

Custom Garages

9K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Beenaway2long 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a forum that deals with the hot rodders and the shops/ garages that they built there works of art in. When I was remodeling my garage I was looking on the web for ideas. Not a whole lot of help. Like any true hot rodder my hot rods will never be finished. There will always be some mod. Even though my garage appears to be finish I will always be looking for new ideas. New to this forum.I have attached a photo of my garage . I can post other angles. Berm!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You have a nice looking shop there. I have a 2 car garage with storage in the back for 1 more.....Suits my needs real well. I have most of the tools that I need. My garage doesn't have those nice white walls. If it did, they wouldn't be white for long. A lot of work gets done in my shop.

#9 ·
I have so many good ideas for my new shop, but I'm always looking for more. My biggest problem is that it's my only storage while I (no contractors or tradespeople) build our new house. Every time I do some work on the shop, I have to move a million things out of the way!! I get sooo "p'ed off" that I could scream. Work is slow, to say the least. I'd love to find some sites with cool shops to get me back in the mood to finish it. I'm constantly telling my wife that there is nothing prettier than a cool shop. I'm even positioning our bedroom window to overlook the shop doors.:D Just don't tell my wife:nono:

#10 ·
Can you fit the air compressor up in the rafters? A buddy of mine did that and it opened up alot more floor space. Put air drops in the 4 corners and the tank drain is hose to the outside yard. His roof is peaked so that he can get up there and maintain it as needed.

Its quieter with it up there also.

C

#11 ·
I wish I could. Not enough room. That oil free air compressor is so loud it makes my ears bleed. I wanted to put it outside. Neighbors would freak. I do a fair bit of work in the evenings. I would stay away from oil free compressors. rebuilt this one three times in the last 5 years. Thanks Berm.

#12 ·
Sweet shop you got there Berm. Poncho yours is definitely less decorated, but the cars parked in either speak for themselves. Good Work fellas:thumbup:

SmoocH and I are thinking about plans for our first house and here's what we're leaning towards. 3 car garage with full storage/shop behind it. Staircase outside leads to the upstairs loft including a bedroom, kitchenette, washer/dryer, full bath, and 20x18 living room. We want to build this in 2 years and pay it off before we build our "House" next to it and eventually use it as a guest house spearate from the main house.

Only thing I'm worried about is a fire in the shop, smoke, and fumes damage to the loft. So we need to find a way to air seal the flooring and have a good exhaust fan downstairs. Any thoughts?

MoocH

#14 ·
Just a quick comment, I currently rent a house where my bedroom sits above the garage and I can park my FI Buick in there, but not my 65 Pontiac. The gas fumes go right upstairs overnight. Just a thought for k2 with the loft.

#15 ·
paperairplane said:
Just a quick comment, I currently rent a house where my bedroom sits above the garage and I can park my FI Buick in there, but not my 65 Pontiac. The gas fumes go right upstairs overnight. Just a thought for k2 with the loft.
That could be just the ticket for an in-laws guest house.:D

#16 ·
Can't I use a wood treatment or tar-seal of some kind to keep some of the fumes downstairs though? I'm hoping there will be a way I can seal off the upstairs completely, that's why I need a good exhaust system too. Only problem with that is in the winter time, it's going to make it hard to get fumes out of the shop and still insulate for the cold. Thanks for the input though guys, there's obviously alot I have to learn about this.

MoocH

#18 ·
Mooch...like Gearhead stated, put up a vapor barrier and properly finish off the drywall. Also make sure you have an exterior door if the door that leads up the stairs is going to be on the inside. An exterior door has all the seals that will keep out the fumes etc. Meaning it is sealed with rubber all around.

Kevin

#19 ·
OK, here it goes:

After wiring and insulation, take heavy mil poly, and do the walls. Then take poly and do the ceiling. TAPE all joints, especially around windows, doors, and perimeter of ceiling/wall joint. Then apply Fire rated drywall. Tape and finish.

You will also want to rubber-isolate any garage door openers w/ rubber as the noise will transmit through the structure.

Upon completion, liberally apply alcohol to your stomach. ;)

(Ya know, I should really read ALL the posts before replying.)

:spank:

Sorry guys

#23 ·
Mooch..... I understand your needs, but really hate it when someone wants to use all of that good stroage/work space for living space. :evil:

Sorry.... I really miss my last 2 garages. 22X26 Barn Type. Full Upstairs (13 X 26) for wood shop plus storage on both sides and in the rafters.

#24 ·
Our other option would be to move into an apartment for a year or two until we're both out of school and getting further into our careers. Till then, the mustang would have to stay at my folks place. The more I put this down on paper and sit with a calculator, the more I'm starting to realize that building our own place now isn't going to be easy, no matter what it is.

This sucks, I need to hurry up and get my degree. Thanks for the advice though guys, there's alot here I didn't factor in, like the fumes and cost of insulation isn't cheap.:(

MoocH

#25 ·
Mooch-
Take it slow. At 24, you have plenty of time. Do yourself a favor. Live cheap for a few years and BANK it hard. Post a drawing of the dream garage in a few places for inspiration. It won't be long before you get that 60x100 building with heat and air, 4 lifts, and a 8 Babe pit crew! Hang in there! It'll happen if you focus !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.