After trimming the foamboard to better fit inside the cab, and bending the foamboard, I laid out the pattern on the foamboard and marked it in. As you can see from the scribbled out lines, it took a few tries to get the pattern exactly how I wanted it. When I measured the pattern I realized I wouldn't be able to sew the lines directly to the foamboard. I have a long arm sewing machine, but the center line was 22 1/2 inches in from the edge of the board. There is only 20" of space between the needle and the base on the machine, so that wasn't going to work. I ended up gluing my sew foam to a piece of chipboard (very thin cardboard, like the back of a tablet of paper) because the chipboard could be rolled up under the arm of the sewing machine. The chipboard was cut in the exact shape of my pattern, which was then glued to the sew foam, and that assembly was glued to the fabric. I then sewed the stitch lines in from front to back and around the perimeter. I then glued the whole chipboard, sew foam, fabric assembly to the foamboard headliner board. Any overhead applications require bulk, spray grade, HHR (high heat resistant) top and trim adhesive. I use DAP Weldwood Top and Trim Adhesive, but there are other contact adhesives that will work as well, like 3-M. There are no aerosols that are recommended for overhead applications.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of this process, but here is the finished headliner board. You can see that all four corners are round. The two rear corners are slightly bigger than the two front corners on this one, but you can use the same size for all four corners. The stitch line around the perimeter was done first, and then the parallel lines were sewn in from front to back last.
No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.