Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Custom Headliner for '36 Ford Pickup
View Single Post
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
DanTwoLakes DanTwoLakes is online now
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,952
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 154 Times in 141 Posts
Now that the headliner board is installed and secured to the truck, the next step is spraying the back of the vinyl and the attaching area with contact adhesive. I did this in two coats, the first coat I let dry overnight, and the second coat I re-applied to both areas the next morning. The glue had dried overnight to the point that it was no longer usable. Fortunately, re-applying the contact adhesive will re-activate it. I did this because the glue was soaking into the backing on the vinyl, and I wanted the first coat to act as a sealer.

Normally, I would have put windlace around the door openings, made gripper strips in the shape of the door openings, and then stuffed the excess headliner fabric up under the gripper strips. I could not do this because I didn't have enough fabric either to make windlace, or have enough extra around the perimeter to tuck under. Also, there was no place to attach the windlace down the "A" pillar to the bottom of the door opening. Instead, I made panels from foamboard, 1/8" sewfoam, and vinyl over the top. I screwed these panels in because the rest of the interior had been done that way. Here is the finished headliner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282_1.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	62990  
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________
Reply With Quote